Author Topic: Bass VI  (Read 2898 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Bass VI
« on: August 19, 2021, 06:51:34 AM »
A Squier Bass VI popped up in our local kijiji , I dawdled and it quickly sold , and then I was thinking I really should have immediately bought the thing . And then discovered a slightly used (rented once) one at my local L&M .
Decided to rent it for a month , it’s just over a dollar a day , and after one day I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep it .
The originals are rare and expensive so I’m quite happy Squier give you a cheap alternative . Fit and finish are fine , plays well , sounds great .
Some say these need heavier strings and that sometimes the bridge saddles have to be reversed for intonation , but so far I’m happy with the factory setup .
I’ll probably never use it for the gigs I do , but it will be a wonderful guilty pleasure at home .

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Bass VI
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 10:00:21 PM »
Nice!

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 04:51:24 AM »
Two days with it and I don’t think it will be returned , but I’m thinking the trial period would prevent any buyer’s remorse . Truth is I’ve been playing a lot of strange stuff on it , Herself says it sounds like Twin Peaks around the house .
Now I’m going to have to find tremolo and reverb pedals .
This is over twenty basses scattered around a fairly small house so I need to do some weeding . Thankfully Herself looks upon most instruments as art so there’s no pressure there .
But I’m liking the VI . My fingers are somewhat sore from the different stress , although I can play upright or standard bass for days without fatigue .

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 06:25:20 AM »
Post a sound clip!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 06:52:47 AM »
Good call on trem and verb! A Bass VI would be cool to have. Not something that would get used a lot, so something cheaper is perfect. Enjoy!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 08:00:34 PM »
I owned an original Bass VI and got to play one of the Squier versions a few years ago. I was very impressed with how close it was to the oldie. About the only substantial differences were the finish quality, the truss at the headstock (better) and mind did not have binding and blocks so it had a different feel to the neck.  But the overall playability, sound and weight were close enough to make me wish I had popped for the Squier.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 06:37:12 AM »
Man, you've been busy lately.  Congrats - she looks like a fun ride.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 05:31:43 PM »
I started making some Twin Peaks kinda noises on it , playing it finger style like a baritone guitar before I started playing much single note stuff , so I rented a TremVerb pedal . Going to have to pick that up too . I’ve been on a gear run again .
I’ve been putting several hours on it daily , without fail .
Guilty pleasure .

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 02:53:19 PM »
You can also play along to some Beatles tunes or Burt Kaempfert if you prefer.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 08:29:53 AM »
Lot's of Fender bass VI on the new Beatles doc. My wife let me know it was streaming on Disney +.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 11:19:26 AM »
These were all sold before they arrived . A special batch of Shell Pink for the Chicago Music Exchange .

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/squier-classic-vibe-bass-vi-shell-pink-wmatching-headcap-1123659

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 01:03:44 PM »
These were all sold before they arrived . A special batch of Shell Pink for the Chicago Music Exchange .

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/squier-classic-vibe-bass-vi-shell-pink-wmatching-headcap-1123659

Ooooh very nice.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 09:40:31 AM »

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 11:51:14 AM »
Thay sounds great!