Author Topic: Good luthier for snapped off EB-3L headstock in the Boston area.  (Read 1123 times)

bobyoung

• View Profile
I just got a 1970 EB-3L and the headstock snapped off during transit. Anyone here know a good luthier around the Boston area that could do a good job with this? It's a good clean break so I think it will turn out nice if the guy knows what he's doing, It's way too late to try to put in a claim as it was at my brother's house for months. I told him to open it and check the headstock, and he said he did, he needs new glasses.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Good luthier for snapped off EB-3L headstock in the Boston area.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 04:06:51 PM »
That's a shame. 

One of our members (hieronymous) had an excellent experience with Krishna at Guitar Garage in Waltham. That was maybe 10 years ago but his website/blog http://guitargarage.blogspot.com
hasn't been updated in years.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 04:28:10 PM »
Thanks Dave, yeah I was not too happy and I had warned the seller to wrap it or brace it to make sure it couldn't be hit, that they snap off easily but the damn cases were so flimy back then too.
I'll see if I can find that place. It looks like it will be an easy repair though, it's a long diagonal break and there is a lot of surface to glue, maybe two inches. I also just got a beautiful 1973 EB-4L though that almost looks like it just came from the showroom so that made up for it I guess, the EB-4L looks better in person than it did on the store wall.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 05:21:29 PM »
Probably more than a few folks around Boston but if you’re willing to head up to Lowell, Bill Whitsett of Whitsett guitar works has seen his fair share of snapped off Gibson head stocks and is definitely up to the task. Good luck.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 07:57:02 PM »
Probably more than a few folks around Boston but if you’re willing to head up to Lowell, Bill Whitsett of Whitsett guitar works has seen his fair share of snapped off Gibson head stocks and is definitely up to the task. Good luck.

Thanks, I sent both of them emails tonight.

steveonbass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 09:09:21 AM »
You could also try Peter Stokes (down by Berklee) or Stubblebine Luthiery in Somerville.  There will be a wait I'm sure as these two are always busy. If Jim Mouradian were still around I would have suggested him first.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »
I believe Jims sons run the shop
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed