Author Topic: 1989 TBIV vs 2015 TBIV  (Read 1068 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
1989 TBIV vs 2015 TBIV
« on: July 25, 2021, 02:34:54 PM »
I'm in a slight quandary considering a 1989 TBIV (pretty beat up and obviously played but everything working and it doers have let's say mojo).
On the other hand a gently used 2015 TBIV (DeColas and Babicz).
I had one of the 2015's when they first were released and liked everything about the bass and of course the options presented by the coil switches.
However I could never get the string setting quite right with respect to the DeCola pole pieces 'magnetic strength' which caused a chorus effect. However now considering giving it another go, and really working with the Babicz and neck angle.
I'm trying to slim down the collection and the 2015 covers some tonal ground, but the 1989 has the classic TB+(I could always just drop in a Babicz, which I like them more than the 3 point, of which I have had many)
They both are 8 lbs. which is what the doctor ordered. It's not usual to have both of these options right in front of me.

Ken

• View Profile
Re: 1989 TBIV vs 2015 TBIV
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 02:39:00 PM »
I'm in a slight quandary considering a 1989 TBIV (pretty beat up and obviously played but everything working and it doers have let's say mojo).
On the other hand a gently used 2015 TBIV (DeColas and Babicz).
I had one of the 2015's when they first were released and liked everything about the bass and of course the options presented by the coil switches.
However I could never get the string setting quite right with respect to the DeCola pole pieces 'magnetic strength' which caused a chorus effect. However now considering giving it another go, and really working with the Babicz and neck angle.
I'm trying to slim down the collection and the 2015 covers some tonal ground, but the 1989 has the classic TB+(I could always just drop in a Babicz, which I like them more than the 3 point, of which I have had many)
They both are 8 lbs. which is what the doctor ordered. It's not usual to have both of these options right in front of me.

A bunch of people over in the TalkBass Thunderbird group have 2015s. Might be a good place to get tips on setup, but if I remember correctly, because of the increased magnetic pull, they lowered the pickups a lot. Kinda opposite to the TB+, where I keep them very close to the strings.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 01:38:22 AM »
I think the 2015 TB is the better bass of the two.
But that's just me.

Maybe the DeCola pickups should be lowered a bit?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 10:10:02 AM »
What Rob says. The DeColas have that effect (they also don't like bending too much), but only if they are too close. With a little tweaking you can get them to sound TB+ish too.

OTOH, if you only want the TBird for that slightly hoarse sound, then you're fine with the 89 too even though that early very generation of TB+ doesn't offer the oomph of later ones. The TB+ sound changed over the years, albeit only in nuances.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 11:46:37 PM »
Thank you Rob, Uwe and BkylnKen for you sincere consideration of my plight. I have initially obtained the ‘89 (a beat up and manged instrument. However the important parts, neck, pickups and electronics all right and survived blizzards and all ready on the front lines for duty. A special mention here has to go to our queen, Mark who kindly advised me of the merits of the ‘89 (details you are all supposed to be aware of) and he assisted me across the line. I will only make one necessary change to the instrument and that will be to replace the bridge with a BLACK Babicz. (sorry Mark but I have to also keep a little more than arms length of Uwe who has the gumption to remove anyone with a simple flick of a finger and with a smile). This is a real player and and transcends the common beliefs that they are one trick sounding instruments. The sound comes from your soul y’all. Also at the beginning of this thread I mentioned a quandary with the ‘89 and a 2015 (De Cola). I might also take a sip of Cola at the expense of a P and a J to make that happen. I’ll be more patient this time with the pickup and bridge setting and still be able to bend some strings.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 03:21:07 AM »
Sounds like a great choice! Plus 1989 was a very good year for me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 05:17:19 AM »
TBird is TBird. As long as it's neck-thru.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 06:09:09 AM »
TBird is TBird. As long as it's neck-thru.

So NRs are not TBirds?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 06:54:29 AM »
 :popcorn:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 07:58:00 AM »
"So NRs are not TBirds?"

TBino would be a more apt description. They are set neck mahogany basses with TB pups and hardware which - for commercial reasons - share the name with a Ray Dietrich design that had a wholly different approach. Imagine an SUV without four-wheel-drive and you get the picture. You are, of course, entirely free to call that a "real SUV" or even a "Land Rover". Or a liquid-cooled four cylinder motorcycle a "real Harley-Davidson".

I wouldn't want to comment further. People can refer to their non-neck-thru basses as they wish.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:15:02 PM by uwe »