Author Topic: Very clean '72 Jazz  (Read 3291 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Very clean '72 Jazz
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 10:35:48 PM »
^^^

The beat-to-shit ones look like that!  :)

Most serious players take reasonably good care of their instruments. I wouldn't touch that abused bass with a ten foot pole.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 01:16:49 PM »
Most serious players take reasonably good care of their instruments. I wouldn't touch that abused bass with a ten foot pole.

Two serious players and their basses:

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 09:25:51 PM »
^^^

I'm sure you can find more than those two examples, especially from thin nitro pre-CBS Fenders, but I'll stand by what I said: most serious players take reasonably good care.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 06:39:06 AM »
There is a gash on the back of that bass in the e-bay listing. I'd rather have a bass with more even wear instead of an otherwise pristine bass with one glaring blemish. Would make feel ocd every time I saw it.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2021, 03:45:22 AM »
[sorry, senior moment]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:39:48 AM by ilan »

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »
The Vintera 70s Jazz is pretty sweet:

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2021, 02:06:47 AM »
That pale pau ferro fretboard is a bit of a turnoff. Can't they at least "ebonize" it?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »
That pale pau ferro fretboard is a bit of a turnoff. Can't they at least "ebonize" it?

Pau Ferro doesn't really take a stain very well. I've managed to make two Pau Ferro necks a bit darker with a spirit-based stain; leaving it to dry completely then removing the stuff that didn't sink in and then finishing with a wax. Even with all that work it still looks like a mid-light rosewood fretboard.

Saying that, I like Pau Ferro on its own merits. It can be finished nicely. Mexican Fenders seem to come with slightly rough and dusty-looking Pau fretboards, but with a bit of work they can be made to have an amazing visual depth and feel very smooth.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2021, 09:06:11 PM »
Is the fact that pao ferro is lighter in color something most people care about? It's not something I even notice, other than if it's a bit dry.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2021, 09:31:48 PM »
Is the fact that pao ferro is lighter in color something most people care about? It's not something I even notice, other than if it's a bit dry.

Pau ferro was considered a premium fretboard wood, it was more expensive than Indian rosewood. I never heard or saw a negative comment about its lighter color. Then rosewood became scarcer. As soon as Fender started using pau ferro on MIM models (reserving rosewood for MIA), suddenly people started complaining about the look. Go figure.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2021, 04:02:36 AM »
I never heard or saw a negative comment about its lighter color

That's what I do best. Find the minutiae and then bicker. For example most Ric aficionados didn't even notice the double hump guard. I couldn't look at them. I'm the guy paying good money for real 60s tort, even Spitfire tort isn't good enough for me. I've replaced necks for darker rosewood. Now imagine living with me.

As soon as Fender started using pau ferro on MIM models (reserving rosewood for MIA), suddenly people started complaining about the look. Go figure.

I hated it when they used it on the Stu Hamm Urge bass almost 30 years ago.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2021, 06:34:48 AM »
That's what I do best. Find the minutiae and then bicker. For example most Ric aficionados didn't even notice the double hump guard. I couldn't look at them. I'm the guy paying good money for real 60s tort, even Spitfire tort isn't good enough for me. I've replaced necks for darker rosewood. Now imagine living with me.

I hated it when they used it on the Stu Hamm Urge bass almost 30 years ago.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »
^^^

I'm sure you can find more than those two examples, especially from thin nitro pre-CBS Fenders, but I'll stand by what I said: most serious players take reasonably good care.

I'm with you. Letting a bass get seriously beat up is a conscious decision by the owner. You don't find violin or brass players letting their instruments get scratched and dented, or letting the finish be ruined. I'm not an every-night player, but I take care of my instruments and I am only interested in them if they're well taken care of.

IMO a bass or guitar ought to be treated with the same care as a good violin or trumpet.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 05:09:07 AM »
You do see sax players remove the lacquer from their horns to get that old look .

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2021, 08:01:32 AM »
FWIW, I like the look of pau ferro.