Author Topic: New birth control method  (Read 1763 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
New birth control method
« on: April 15, 2021, 05:09:19 PM »

amptech

• View Profile
Re: New birth control method
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 10:41:58 PM »
Very brutal indeed.

People think it's hard to arouse female music interest with Rush, specially in social settings.
Not true, you just have to be clever. My mate and I discovered this trick (by accident), just play
some early Gryphon for about 20 minutes and they will love just about anything you put on after that!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 07:30:07 AM »
I've been to Rush gigs, twice. Every word of the article is true. There are no women at Rush concerts. Well, there were four at the first gig. They were on stage as the opening act and called Girlschool. This confrontation was unfortunate for the Rush fans as you could tell that they all didn't mingle much with women. Hence they didn't know what to make of Girlschool.

No wonder they had all these thinly veiled masturbation anthems (just think of the tell-tail "each one must play with his part" from the juvenile double-entendre-littered "Closer to the Hard").
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:41:53 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 07:41:57 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Well done! Maybe this explains why my wife and I were a couple for 20 years before we produced a baby?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 07:51:09 AM »
Tom, as long as you two could eventually agree on a meter and find a common rhythm in the end, it's all good.  :-*

Speaking of Birth Control, remember my countrymen here?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:11:26 AM by uwe »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »
I mean, we Canadians have always been in the forefront of medical breakthroughs - see insulin.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 09:01:30 AM »
Like everything in PROG, practice and sheer determination makes perfect when/where things don't come naturally. Even Geddy has - (his) voice-defying as it may seem - a lovely daughter and likewise son.

Which finally puts some of these - even intra-band - vile rumors to rest.

Much less will I participate in any speculation and conjecture about this innocent snapshot here, so-called "Canadian foreskinfront of medical breakthroughs" or not!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:09:38 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 03:37:18 AM »
Both my wife and daughter saw the 2007 London gig... my Kentuckian wife likes country music (she "corrected" my oft touted comment about her liking country AND western by recently advising me that she is not really a fan of "western" music) and did not walk out... she even allowed me to buy the big fat coffee table book with all the progs in it (even though I had almost all of them from the UK gigs anyway), which was most out of character for her... my daughter has been a fan for many years and many of her friends are impressed that she actually saw them on stage...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 05:44:31 AM »
I’m a big fan of the band , but can’t stand the music .
But they interview well , I bought Geddy’s big book . Loved it .

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 03:49:24 PM »
I like Rush, especially once they stopped taking themselves so dead-serious. Alex Lifeson's guitar - skillful as it is - doesn't do much for me, but Neil and Geddy were/are fun to watch.

There is something autistic about them as a band. They are incredible musicians who are ironically only good at one thing: Creating and playing their own music. That was enough for them and they hardly ever ventured from it. A musical cult really.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:17:30 PM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 04:41:31 AM »
I joined the cult in the mid 70's and never left... probably answers a lot about my mental health...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 04:57:59 PM »
I joined the cult in the mid 70's and never left... probably answers a lot about my mental health...  :mrgreen:

Make that early '80s for me and it holds completely true... :)

Strangely enough, my second wife is a big Rush fan. Then again, she was crazy enough to go half way around the world to marry me and subsequently have three kids so she's definitely off her rocker.

There is something autistic about them as a band. They are incredible musicians who are ironically only good at one thing: Creating and playing their own music. That was enough for them and they hardly ever ventured from it. A musical cult really.

I think that you're onto something here. I'm not sure whether I'd go with "autistic" though..."sociopathic" kinda sounds better to me.... :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:17:07 PM by uwe »
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 07:14:36 PM »
I think autistic (in a non-medical condition sense) is the right term because it's not intentional with them, there is nothing mean or arrogant about Rush, they were just for a large part of their band's lifespan totally oblivious to the outside world, it played no role for them. Live, I sometimes got the feeling that Rush didn't even need an audience, they were perfectly happy and content playing to and for themselves, but didn't mind other people watching.  :mrgreen:

Of course, Geddy has said that sometime in the 80ies The Police began to rub off on them and you can begin hearing an Andy Summers/The Edge influence in Alex Lifeson's guitar sounds around that time too, but that is about as far as outside influences went.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:19:37 PM by uwe »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 05:34:53 AM »
Uwe may have just ruined The Police for me ;P ... no wait Sting already did that, nevermind.

That is one thing good I will say about Rush; from their own promo video polka band jokes to appearing on The Trailer Park boys, they sure knew, in that quintessential Canadian way, how to have a laugh at themselves.  Also they relentlessly represented YYZ / the s6x / T Dot to the world even when we didn't want them to.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 06:48:34 AM »
Rush have never minced words about how The Police made them (re)think that music in the style of Hemispheres was perhaps not the way to go forward for the rest of their career. Hence the change in style following that album. It guess it appealed to them that all five Police studio offerings are distinctly different from another.

Jake, you never like bands Canada is known for ... Guess Who, BTO, Rush, Triumph, Max Webster, Loverboy ... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?  :mrgreen: