Author Topic: An unusual EB-3 on Reverb  (Read 1336 times)

ajkula66

• View Profile
An unusual EB-3 on Reverb
« on: February 17, 2021, 11:58:10 PM »
No clue whether it's a real "one off" or an alteration and I definitely wouldn't pay $6K for it but it does look interesting...thoughts ?

https://reverb.com/item/38903737-gibson-eb-3-custom-1973-74-white
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: An unusual EB-3 on Reverb
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 02:00:44 AM »
It's just a custom order through a dealer, not any kind of special build. IMHO not worth remotely near the asking price. Probably a nice bass, though, if you like the '72 and later models.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 06:08:46 AM »
Man, the gold coat on the pups did not age well (is that what I'm seeing?).  Block markers would seem like 'special build' wouldn't it?  That's not just finish colour, hardware colour, or knob choice.  I guess they coulda tossed a Triumph board on there (are they the same size before being bound?), but still.  Heck, I wouldn't have thunk the gold hardware would be an option on a regular order from a dealer.  They certainly wouldn't indulge you like this now,  not even close.

But yeah 6k is still dreamin, especially online, in a pandemic, where nobody's gonna be able to inspect it, and not a single closer-up pic of anything to boot (like what's up with those pups; S/N at least to confirm not sanded off as a refin etc).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:42:28 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 08:18:04 AM »
Definitely not a Triumph fretboard. Those inlays are much smaller. And it has one extra block inlay (21st postion) in comparison with the one on the EB-3

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »
That's a lot of money for a toggle switch and block inlays.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 12:08:26 AM »
It's just a custom order through a dealer, not any kind of special build. IMHO not worth remotely near the asking price. Probably a nice bass, though, if you like the '72 and later models.

May not be worth the price, but I'd say any block inlay EB from that period is a special?
They did the same 'custom' builds with a few earlier EB2 and EB3 basses (black or white finish w. block inlays) but I don'r recall seeing
gold hardware on them.

EDIT: Oi, is that a tort guard? Looks kind of non-Gibson choice to me..

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 12:36:26 AM »
May not be worth the price, but I'd say any block inlay EB from that period is a special?
They did the same 'custom' builds with a few earlier EB2 and EB3 basses (black or white finish w. block inlays) but I don'r recall seeing
gold hardware on them.

EDIT: Oi, is that a tort guard? Looks kind of non-Gibson choice to me..

Block inlays could be special ordered through a Gibson dealer. Not common, but if the customer was willing to pay, it could be done.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 06:17:05 AM »
Definitely not a Triumph fretboard. Those inlays are much smaller. And it has one extra block inlay (21st postion) in comparison with the one on the EB-3

Good eye; I didn't even look.

Block inlays could be special ordered through a Gibson dealer. Not common, but if the customer was willing to pay, it could be done.

Wow, that's interesting.  Surprised more people didn't avail themselves to that option.  Despite this, how would you not consider it a special build; it's obviously so in a literal sense, because it's outside the normal production process?  Like it's not just one they took off the line and painted a custom colour.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 07:48:31 AM »

Wow, that's interesting.  Surprised more people didn't avail themselves to that option.  Despite this, how would you not consider it a special build; it's obviously so in a literal sense, because it's outside the normal production process?  Like it's not just one they took off the line and painted a custom colour.

You'll run across more special order guitars than basses. They're not rare. They'll have a Custom TRC or plate by the bridge.

They are special builds, not as simple as custom colors. But they're still standard models with custom features.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 07:54:56 AM »
You'll run across more special order guitars than basses.

I'm wondering if there is/was a matching SG out there. Some show band guys wanted matching instruments so would ask dealers for such, which would become custom orders.

The photos are too poor to really make out much detail. I'm wondering if the pickguard off-gassed and cause the corrosion on the pickups. Or, maybe the gold plating of the pickups was done quickly and experimentally without the necessary prep.

The cynic in me says solid colour = refinished broken bass, DIY gold plated parts, DIY block inlays, random Les Paul wiring scheme etc.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 09:22:17 AM »

The cynic in me says solid colour = refinished broken bass, DIY gold plated parts, DIY block inlays, random Les Paul wiring scheme etc.

Likewise skeptical considering the lack of closeups, but neat to know it was theoretically possible.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 03:09:43 PM »
Yes, I suspect there's a reason for not showing the serial number area.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 10:20:22 PM »
It never hurts to be skeptical, especially at the asking price of this one.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 07:29:00 AM »
   I'm skeptical.  Without having the bass in hand and some documentation all the "custom " work I would  have to consider after production mods.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 12:18:54 AM »
You never know unless you x-ray.

Here's a thread from yesterday at MLP about an allegedly near-perfect Norlin LP Custom (from the same era as this bass) that turned out to have layers of paint and two hidden cracks.