Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

New Guild Starfire with Split P

(1/8) > >>

Chris P.:
https://guildguitars.com/g/starfire-i-bass-cherry-red/

Highlander:
Not an enhancement, imho...

Alanko:
I'm wondering if Guild are trying to break into the corner of the market the Jack Casady basses occupy? Double cutaway hollow-type bass with single pickup in the 'sweet spot'?

The regrettable thing is that they could have used a standard P pickup, which would make these a potentially versatile modding platform. A Dimarzio Model P is going to sound nothing like a Bartolini in the same position on that bass, which would draw a wider audience to this model. As it stands you're hamstrung with those proprietary pickups unless you can get Curtis Novak to wind a drop-in replacement. The harp tailpiece and separate bridge remind me of those Hagstrom Viking basses, and the binding on the neck isn't true to the original Starfires either.

Chris P.:
I was shocked first, but I like it. It reminds me a bit of the Eccleshall basses of Peter Hook.

I think such a bass with a middle pickup is a good thing. The succes of the JCS - I think - is partly because every player of a Fender/Yamaha/Ibanez or whatever 'normal' bass, doesn't have to adjust. Put down your P, grab a JCS and it's an easy change. Different if you pick up an SG Bass.
Same with the LP Jr Tribute and its middle pickup. And it will sound good.

About changing pickups: My two reissue comp Mustangs have Nordstrands. All my other basses have stock pickups. Not everybody has the urge to change pickups.

Basvarken:
I like it!
The chrome casing round the split pickup works great for this bass.
The Tune-o-matic bass bridge looks a bit cheap(ish), but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me (provided that it's placed correctly)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version