Author Topic: Pickup Guru Suggestions?  (Read 1608 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pickup Guru Suggestions?
« on: December 31, 2020, 01:38:40 AM »

I have feelers out for someone local but in case I don't get any help, do any of you have a suggestion for who I might send this to to add a new braided lead wire at a reasonable cost? The old, crappy repair finally gave up the ghost. The pickup did work before the wire fell off, but it's been sitting in my parts box for ages and I'd like to get it working to put in my white Bach TB II.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Pickup Guru Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 10:50:07 AM »
  I can't speak for him but I would contact Steve Soar of the Thunderbucker Ranch.  Curtis Novak is also a good call.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »
If needed I'll reach out to them. Thank you, Scott!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 12:57:13 AM »
I could do it for free, but if you are in the US the shipping would be expensive.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 01:19:29 AM »
I could do it for free, but if you are in the US the shipping would be expensive.

Utah to Norway and back? No problem!  :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, it might not be too expensive.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 01:40:58 AM »
Utah to Norway and back? No problem!  :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, it might not be too expensive.

I am sure tracking is imortant in this case, so it would be about USD 38, that's what I pay today (I ship tubes to the US on a weekly basis).

EDIT: Maybe it's less expensive to ship from the US, I have ordered small packages  from time to time with tracking and quite reasonable shipping cost.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 09:18:14 AM »
I've done similar work, though I'm in Scotland so that probably isn't any use. I've never worked on this exact style of pickup, but I've replaced hookup wire on a few pickups, including a '70s Fender WRHB. This required new coax cable to be spliced onto the original wire within the pickup housing, and the shield of the coax to be soldered to the baseplate of the pickup.

Honestly it isn't scary if you don't have to go into the pickup coils themselves. You want a variable temperature soldering iron so that you can work hot enough to solder the shield to the pickup base, but reduce the temperature enough that you don't melt the insulation everywhere.