Author Topic: Fretless 1977 maple RD Artist... a factory fretless...? Greedbay...  (Read 827 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
This has taken me by surprise... silly money, imho... but if this is original...? BIN, not bid...
Vaguely remember this being discussed but never seen a photo, let alone one for sale...
An extra switch is present near the pots and an odd "mark" on the body is reflections of the keyboard below...
The add is avoiding the "factory" word and throwing fretless in the same sentence...
Looks quite minty...

Fretless RD Artist on Greedbay... UK seller
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Fretless 1977 maple RD Artist... a factory fretless...? Greedbay...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 12:40:36 PM »
A pic of the side of the fretboard might help - as is, that one pic looking down the neck makes the fretboard look thicker than Gibson used... but maybe they did that for the fretless, or shadows.

The fact of the matter is that the minitoggle is not factory so the price is insane on that basis.  That's more than a minty rare CMT burst.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 04:37:24 PM »
Yes, I saw that one a few days ago. If you zoom and look at the fretboard where it sits on the body you can see there's a maple shim under the fretboard where it extends beyond the original length. I'd say that bass did'nt leave the Gibson factory that way.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 09:45:37 AM »
A pic of the side of the fretboard might help - as is, that one pic looking down the neck makes the fretboard look thicker than Gibson used... but maybe they did that for the fretless, or shadows.

The fact of the matter is that the minitoggle is not factory so the price is insane on that basis.  That's more than a minty rare CMT burst.

I think it's very likely legit, fretless RDs from the factory weren't that rare to begin with. Even the earliest prototypes were fretless in part, possibly a nod to fusion bassist Ralphe Armstrong who endorsed the model.

I'd be forgiving about the mini toggle. It probably does what Gibson finally did from the 1979 RDs onwards via replacement of one of the larger toggles by two mini toggles enabling the player to use both the treble boost mode AND the compression/expansion mode simultaneously (the '77 & '78 models didn't have that option yet). So the mod is in line with where the bass' development was going anyway (I wouldn't even rule out that it was a custom request together with the fretless option). Though it escapes me why anyone would want to listen to that godawfully brittle-sounding combo of bright and expansion mode for more than a few seconds, it's THAT painful and artificial!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 09:58:37 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »
I think it's very likely legit, fretless RDs from the factory weren't that rare to begin with.

I'd be forgiving about the mini toggle. It probably does what Gibson finally did from the 1979 RDs onwards via replacement of one of the larger toggles by two mini toggles enabling the player to use both the treble boost mode AND the compression/expansion mode simultaneously. So the mod is in line with where the bass' development was going anyway. Though it escapes me why anyone would want to listen to that godawfully brittle-sounding combo of bright and expansion mode for more than a few seconds, it's that painful!  :mrgreen:

If you're looking to cut through a mix, I bet it does a pretty good job!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 10:00:46 AM »
At the expense of decent bass frequencies!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 12:41:50 PM »
I think it's very likely legit, fretless RDs from the factory weren't that rare to begin with. Even the earliest prototypes were fretless in part, possibly a nod to fusion bassist Ralphe Armstrong who endorsed the model.

I'd be forgiving about the mini toggle. It probably does what Gibson finally did from the 1979 RDs onwards via replacement of one of the larger toggles by two mini toggles enabling the player to use both the treble boost mode AND the compression/expansion mode simultaneously (the '77 & '78 models didn't have that option yet). So the mod is in line with where the bass' development was going anyway (I wouldn't even rule out that it was a custom request together with the fretless option). Though it escapes me why anyone would want to listen to that godawfully brittle-sounding combo of bright and expansion mode for more than a few seconds, it's THAT painful and artificial!  :mrgreen:

Yeah - like I said it could be factory fretless; just not enuf info to be sure.  Even if it is the price is insane.  And no I won't just forgive that minitoggle; nobody should.  If it is factory (fat chance says I) then still the price is stupid. Either way someone had to hack the Moog PCB to put it in there and that's a reliability issue, factory or no. Nevermind the permanent hole in the wood. 

There's just no way that should be more than 1.8k euro.  Like literally half the given ask.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 02:16:49 PM »
... If you zoom and look at the fretboard where it sits on the body you can see there's a maple shim under the fretboard where it extends beyond the original length. I'd say that bass didn't leave the Gibson factory that way...

Busted... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 03:41:12 PM »
Zats a bingo!!!

I have a Ripper where the same thing was done!