Author Topic: NBD - Modern Embassy  (Read 1061 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
NBD - Modern Embassy
« on: November 23, 2020, 03:48:32 PM »

I stumbled across an Embassy at a good price and couldn't resist. When these were released I was bugged by the horn more than the headstock (though I still prefer the batwing), but the black one seems less noticeable to me. They have a couple custom colors available now as well (gold and green that kind of approximate 60s colors). I was surprised and impressed by how much fundamental this had when I plugged it in. Beefy Thunderbird in disguise... The Vintage Pro Thunderbirds have crept up in price, but these are still selling new for $399. If Gibson releases a Thunderbird with this hardware and the used Epi market softens, I may have to pick up a used bird in black to go with this one.

One surprise was the pots. Volume, blend, and tone. I was expecting VVT like usual. Still haven't decided whether I should change them out to vintage specs...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: NBD - Modern Embassy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 07:10:54 PM »
That looks really nice in black.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:12:41 PM »
That looks really nice in black.
I was thinking the same thing. Even compared to the new finishes, the black still stands out. Being the only one with a matching headstock by default probably helps. Congrats on the new axe.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »
Thanks guys, when I saw this one it reminded me of Uwe's 60s Embassy that he had refinished when he had the headstock repaired. As for the new colors, somebody in here should grab one so we can see a non shock photo!

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:27:59 PM by OldManC »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 12:52:56 AM »
Thanks guys, when I saw this one it reminded me of Uwe's 60s Embassy that he had refinished when he had the headstock repaired. As for the new colors, somebody in here should grab one so we can see a non shock photo!

The guitarstore above my workshop have one of these in white. I might give it another go, but I'll have to set it up first.
Are they long or short scale?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 11:46:44 AM »
Are they long or short scale?

Long, but the 34" takes up so much of the bass' actual length that if feels shorter going back and forth from a P bass or especially Thunderbird; not in a bad way though. It's very comfortable to play.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 02:14:27 AM »
When I reviewed one, I thought it was shorter firs, cos it plays so easy.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 08:59:50 PM »
The batwing ones are ergonomic disasters - the definition of "unbalanced". You let go of  that neck for a sec and the headstock dive-bombs like a manic Stuka Junkers 87.  All it needs is some wing " Jericho" sirens ... :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...