Author Topic: Covid Impulse Purchase  (Read 1420 times)

Happy Face

• View Profile
Covid Impulse Purchase
« on: November 05, 2020, 03:51:51 PM »
No more live shows, some studio work but those two projects are wrapping up. So --- zero.zero need for a second, especially since my "Shooting Star" Tuxedo is so close to perfection.

But I couldn't resist buying another "orphan" Ric, this time the well-worn, nicotine stained CS bass. It came from Kevin at Kebo as advertised. I had figured I'd try some heavy-duty solvents to partially restore it. But once in hand, it's current condition is growing on me. A few tweaks to get to this weekend, but I'll mostly leave it be. Probably down at the recording studio along with the Versatone in the Tux photo.   

That said, I like the neck profile of the Tux better and, thanks to the refret & carbon fiber rod, the action is unbelievably flat and low without any fret buzz. 

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Covid Impulse Purchase
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 06:06:32 PM »
Congrats! But seriously, get her refinished  ;)
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 10:06:39 PM »
Congratulations!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 08:06:51 AM »
Nice. My CS is one of the best basses I've ever owned as far as tone and feel go. It's also pretty light and well balanced sitting or standing. I've pampered it since I bought it new in 1992, but lately I've been thinking of throwing caution to the wind and using it more. The tone is just SO there.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 12:06:37 PM »
For a clean-up, I like both Virtuoso cleaner, and their polish.  The cleaner takes off nicotine residue but won't damage the guitar's finish.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »
Thanks guys. Really a stupid purchase. But as gearHED notes, it does sound righteous. 

Tried naptha on a couple of spots and saw no result. I'll give the Virtuoso products a whirl. But there is so much (honest) wear that it may not be worth much effort beyond that.

And on we go ...

A fool and his money are soon parted.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 05:34:21 PM »
Buying a Ric is never foolish. Last year I was considering selling my v63 last year, luckily it fell through. It is my best feeling bass.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 03:21:12 PM »
The CS basses seem gloriously inconsistent in terms of how well they hold onto their original colour. Some guy on Talkbass had one that turned nuclear orange really quickly, with very minimal environmental factors at play. Some hold onto their cream colour well and some turn Lego yellow. There's no obvious pattern, I don't think.