Author Topic: Jimmy Lea and his.........Jaydee  (Read 2682 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lea and his.........Jaydee
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 12:44:17 PM »
Pardon...?  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 05:11:05 AM »
I wish they would get back together, downtune everything a couple of half-steps und do one unplugged gig, is that asking for too much? If Ian Hunter can do it with Mott the Hoople in their various incarnations ... It would certainly bring me closure. I only saw them twice, once at that club gig and a few years later as Whitesnake's (Moody/Marsden era) opening act. By the late 70ies, they weren't a regular touring act in Germany anymore.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 12:43:10 PM »
I believe that Dave Hill recently unceremoniously fired Don Powell.
So I don’t think it is going to happen in the near future...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 02:59:58 PM »
And then he had a stroke about a month after that.  But having your stepdaughter who is a doctor at your house while you're having a stroke is about as lucky as it gets. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/slade-drummer-don-powell-suffers-17853177
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 06:10:41 AM »
I wish they would get back together, downtune everything a couple of half-steps und do one unplugged gig, is that asking for too much? If Ian Hunter can do it with Mott the Hoople in their various incarnations ... It would certainly bring me closure. I only saw them twice, once at that club gig and a few years later as Whitesnake's (Moody/Marsden era) opening act. By the late 70ies, they weren't a regular touring act in Germany anymore.

As Nod has said a few times there's no way they'd ever get back together now, too much water under the bridge and they struggle to have a same room meeting without it turning nasty. A few years ago I had a two hour chat in a local bar with Nod and while I won't go into particulars there's no way it will happen. Meanwhile, after departing what was left of Slade Don Powell has abandoned creating his own "Slade" and for now is planning a few UK gigs with a band called "The Ex Men". Jim Lea is has a few items in the pipeline and I had a great long catch up with him a few months ago.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:18:48 AM by Big_Stu »

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2020, 06:19:48 AM »
Pardon...?  :mrgreen:
Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 04:36:41 PM »
I think royalties must play a large part in it. Slade had a songwriter team with Lea and Holder that hoarded all the royalties. Once the hits in a band's  career dry up und record sales of new output dwindle along with - eventually - ticket sales, you get a schism: The writers can lean back and live from the back catalog still being played on the radio, the non-writers have to keep on gigging for lack of other income to diminishing returns. That poisons everything.

It was Jon Lord who once said that the beginning of the end of DP was when the band gave up the hitherto mandatory five-way-songwriter credit (at the instigation of Blackmore, the chief songwriter): "And that's not economic sour grapes, the band just worked better as a collective that way."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 12:43:58 AM »
Sabbath ran that policy too, iirc... a great work's collective...
As known, I was lucky having "grown up" with Slade, just as I did with ACG, but unlike Status Quo, who were just as much an influence on me, I just never got round to seeing them for some reason or another; again, all those Hammy O gigs, and Wembley at their peak and them just round the corner from me... Much later, I just did not want to see them as the "Frantic Four"... It was them, but not...
I got to the point with them (Quo) that it was just "SingalongaQuo", to coin a Brit expression...
When Slade got their second break they produced some decent rock material and, live, chucked a significant quantity of it in... Slade doing an "unplugged" would be a nice idea; I'd watch it, from a "Far-Far Away", but I would not feel the pull to go, unless they played the Ironworks in Inverness...  :mrgreen:
There's not a massive amount of stuff I still can be bothered to see, though we (me and daughter) have a re-scheduled Satriani gig to see next year and a Hollywood Vampires gig to see later this year, if it takes place...
I will never see Grand Funk or Foghat, both of which I loved, and Free is just a warm memory of something I could have seen... at least I saw Bad Co early on...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 01:08:22 PM »
If you saw Quo pre-Lancaster's ousting, then you did good not to see the Frantic Four reunion gigs. Alan Lancaster, in his prime, was one of the most muscular and forward-pushing bassists ever, but he could barely hold the pick anymore and his bass playing had lost all its former pummeling urgency (his voice otoh was fine, had hard aged) due to his muscle/nerve disease which he refuses to admit as MS. Coghlan had lost stamina, but his playing still had more character than any of his successors ever had, Parfitt held it all together in a superhuman effort and was truly chuffed to be there und Rossi was visibly pained/irritated by the deficiencies in Coghlan's and Lancaster's playing and at the same time extremely worried about Lancaster's health - constant sideway glances like a male nurse worriedly looking at a patient who is overestimating his fitness during reconvalescence. After each gig (I saw them twice) he breathed a deep sigh of relief and must have thought to himself "phew, we barely made it ..." . It was also patently clear that Rossi no longer enjoyed playing the 70ies heyday stuff mostly sung by Lancaster and Parfitt, though he showed discipline. He's on record for saying that he dislikes "Quo" (the 74 album, imho the pinnacle of their work together with "On the Level" which followed it ) for being too dark and heavy an album.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 05:14:10 AM »
I think royalties must play a large part in it. Slade had a songwriter team with Lea and Holder that hoarded all the royalties. Once the hits in a band's  career dry up und record sales of new output dwindle along with - eventually - ticket sales, you get a schism: The writers can lean back and live from the back catalog still being played on the radio, the non-writers have to keep on gigging for lack of other income to diminishing returns. That poisons everything.

You'd be correct, after a lot of wrangling H and Don were each given a six figure pay check/cheque for back-dated royalties. My guess would be that it was a one-off.