Author Topic: Fender fined £4.5m for price fixing in UK .  (Read 1099 times)

doombass

• View Profile
Fender fined £4.5m for price fixing in UK .
« on: January 23, 2020, 12:54:26 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/22/guitar-maker-fender-fined-45m-for-price-fixing-in-uk

It's not only in the U.K. Several years ago I heard that especially Fender was trying (and the way I see it succeeded) to set minimum prices in Europe. The reason would have been to protect small dealers by keeping their profit margin at a level where they can survive the competition from the big European online dealers. Suddenly the small stores could price the instruments the same, just over and sometimes even slightly below the big ones. Mostly you could go in to the local store and have the price matched to Thomanns price on just about any brand/product which was nearly impossible 10-15 years ago, so I'd say Fender are not alone in this case.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Fender fined £4.5m for price fixing in UK .
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 09:05:49 PM »
Minimum advertised price policies are used by almost every manufacturer selling in the US now, and not just musical instruments. It's not considered price fixing here b/c a store can still sell for less than that, they just can't advertise it for less.

Obviously that's not so in the UK.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 01:38:13 AM »
It even seems to stem from EU laws.

The European commission fined four sound system manufacturers for similar behaviour in July 2018 – Philips, Pioneer, Asus and Denon.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 03:06:08 PM »
It even seems to stem from EU laws.
they wont have to worry about it for long once we become Europe's Singapore