Author Topic: Höfner 182 wood question  (Read 2809 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Höfner 182 wood question
« on: December 22, 2019, 03:02:22 AM »
Hi, guys.. Ok, so I just got this 1964 Höfner 182 solidbody bass (project) on the workbench. I really am not sure what to do with it; the body is molested by a junkie probably in the 70's. It's cut down to a 'Ampeg Devil Bass-ish' shape. other than that, it just miss one original tuner. Action at 12th fret when strung up is a healthy 1,7cm... But, the electronics are OK, that is - one staple pup working and one just needs reconnecting inside (both coils are OK). I guess there will never be original value left at all, so if the neck can be adjusted I can just cut out a straight centre section and add body sides. And sell the complete electronics. Atually, the neck feels rather nice in my hands.

But after Googling away yet another breakfast, I still have not fond much info regarding what wood they used? Does any of you guys here know what they used?

Don't ask for pictures - it's actually the ugliest wreck I've ever seen!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Höfner 182 wood question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 10:49:12 PM »
Did Höfner ever specify the body wood of their solidbodies in their catalogs? I don't think so.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 12:43:27 AM »
No, I have read through that vintage Höfner vintage site and various catalogs. No luck.
I just assumed some of the accomplished gentlemen here had some inside information :)

There is practically no weight. Its cut down, but I remember a 185 bass i had in for pickup repair a while back, very light weight.
I took the neck off yesterday, and shimmed it so I could try to play it. There was a patch in the neck pocket without paint.
I first thought it looked like korina, then alder. But that's only guesswork. It's extremely dent prone and must be less dense than alder.

I'll strip the body and probalby know more (or less) later. It's not really that important to know, but once you start thinking..

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 01:02:44 AM »
IIRC most were plywood and some (the vinyl covered bodies?) chipboard.

182's are dirt cheap in today's market. With a good set of flats they are actually nice basses, if you like that vintagey tone and feel - even the vinyl-covered ones.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 01:45:29 AM »
IIRC most were plywood and some (the vinyl covered bodies?) chipboard.

182's are dirt cheap in today's market. With a good set of flats they are actually nice basses, if you like that vintagey tone and feel - even the vinyl-covered ones.

Yes, they are cheap - that's why I'll sell the electronics rater than restore the bass. But it's short and light so I just have to make something out of it🙂 btw, all restored/vinylless 182's I've seen have had solid wood. Just wonder what it is..
EDIT: I think it still had the original flats on it! One nanosecond of thump🙂
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 02:29:06 AM by amptech »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 01:52:37 AM »
You can e-mail nick.was [at] hofner.com

Nick retired last week but will still ding some marketing a day a week, so an answer can take a while. He wrote the 500/1 book and knows a lot.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 02:13:12 AM »
You can e-mail nick.was [at] hofner.com

Nick retired last week but will still ding some marketing a day a week, so an answer can take a while. He wrote the 500/1 book and knows a lot.

Allright, I will! Thanks Chris👍

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 09:59:51 AM »
If it has been butchered up that much, you might want to replace the body with one that's a light wood.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333436809460

A really nice one just sold for $495

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 05:39:22 PM »
I guess every builder has copied a P at one time or another.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 02:16:04 AM »
If it has been butchered up that much, you might want to replace the body with one that's a light wood.

Yes, the plan is to just keep the center section and add body sides of a similar wood, and cut out a shape.
I'm even leaning towards the first (non-P body) shape/style of the 182.

I guess every builder has copied a P at one time or another.

I think it's much more amazing that they copied the Gibson SB series!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »
Ok, if I find out what wood is used I'll post here for reference. I did find a suggestion to a wood Höfner used for solids in the 60's on Steve Russel's site, Abachi (Triplochiton Scleroxylon).

That would be great, as it's used for building saunas (plenty of stores stock it). I have seen examples and description that in a stretch looks like the bare patch in the neck pocket, and it's light weight and not very dense. Hope Höfner can confirm..

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 10:10:20 AM »
Here it is in all it's glory....

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »
Not that bad really.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 09:36:34 PM »
I've seen a lot worse than that. You should be able to make something nice out of it.