Author Topic: Need some info on Gibson basses  (Read 4015 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Need some info on Gibson basses
« on: December 01, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »
I am working on the second edition of The Gibson Bass Book.
And I’d like to take the opportunity to correct some mishaps from the first edition.

Chris P Dekker has been proof reading for me. And some questions came up:

- How wide is the Nut of the SG-Z? The book mentions that it is wide, but not how wide exactly.

- When did Gibson stop offering the SG reissue in Worn Faded finish? Maybe when JC took over from Henry J?

- When did they stop offering the Thunderbird in white finish?

- What exactly are the controls on the 2018 RD Artist bass?

I hope maybe one of our fellow Outposters can shed some light?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Need some info on Gibson basses
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 07:38:42 PM »
By Worn Faded do you mean the SG Special Bass? If so, 2014 was the last model year. You might recall that I had a 2014 that I bought on closeout. A few months later it separated at the center seam from the bridge to the butt end, and one half warped, so Gibson replaced it under warranty in April 2015 -- but they sent me a new SG Standard because they were no longer making the Special and had none left in their warehouse.

The SG-Z on Jules' site shows 41.5 mm as the nut width. Gibson wouldn't have used metric in their specs, but that's very close to 1 5/8 in. neepheid had one, you might want to PM him, he may still have it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 11:42:33 PM »
Thank you very much Dave!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 12:38:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure the Gibson Thunderbird offering in white was discontinued in 2007 by the time they started the Guitar Of The Week program. I know they were still available throughout 2006.  My SG-Z bass has 41.3 mm nut width. The neck fools you into feeling a wideness though because it has a thinner flat profile.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 02:26:23 AM »
I am working on the second edition of The Gibson Bass Book.
And I’d like to take the opportunity to correct some mishaps from the first edition.

I hope maybe one of our fellow Outposters can shed some light?

First of all - I think you have done a great job with the first book. Can't help you with what you actually asked for, but I have noticed a couple of odd things in that first book.

- The whole presentation of the '58 Explorer bass is a bit off. The headline says '3 normal tuners and 1 banjo tuner' which is true for Uwe's bass (as pictured) but the text is about the '58 (althoug it might have been made later). The text also suggests that Entwistle's bass was different by 'only' having one humbucker in the neck position, but it's only ever surfaced one original Explorer bass and that one had only one pickup at the neck. Nor did it have a mix of tuners, it had 4 banjo tuners - the 3 normal tuners were added later.
An as it is suggested Lonnie Mack had one too, well - it's the same instrument JAE had.

It might not be important, but the current owner have done intensive research about the instrument, and to this day it's the only documented original Explorer - and it's thought that possibly one more could have been made as out of a batch of 40 Explorer bodies 38 became guitars, 1 became the documented bass and one is not accounted for. There's an interview in Geddy's book, I'm sure  the owner of the bass could be interested in having it in your book? At least, it should be clear that the bass pictured in the book is just a custom made bass loosely based on the original Explorer bass.

- Some of the basses miss the 'specifications' textbox? If possible, the handbook factor would improve with all basses having the same
  set of specs in my opinion.

- I notice that the EB-0, EB-3 and EB-4L were available in burgundy  (should be cherry), but I suppose that's already taken care of.

- The sliding pickup on the Grabber is a singlecoil, not a humbucker (listed in specifications)

- The EB-2 presentation also says large humbucker with bakelite cover, later versions had the sidewinder. 
   It is more correct that the first version had singlecoil sidewinder, then later sidewinder humbucker with bakelite cover, then
   sidewinder humbucker with metal cover.

- on page 8, the EH150 pictured is referred to as ES150.

- I can agree to a certain point that the EB0-F fuzz is not very versatile... But rather than saying it's 'quite useless', it might be nice for
  readers to know that one of the most iconic stompboxes ever made (satisfaction etc..) was born through accident and 
  developed first for this very bass. Ok it was taken off the catalogue after only 4 years, but so was the Les Paul Standard :)

- The EB-6 too, a little story would be cool. Many famous users including Elvis (Ok, a double neck). Again, probably not important -
  but then again a book about gibson basses dictates nerdy readers (sorry, folks).

- I personally think the book would reach much wider if the EB (first type) and 59-61 EB0 had a better presentation in original finish.
   I love and admire Uwe's collection as much as anyone here - but the book is entitled The Gibson Bass Book. I'm sure
  some owners that have pristine originals would be happy to see them in your book. Maybe the Åhden bros?

Please don't take this as criticism, I love your book and would be happy to see a new one surface - and buy it of course!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 03:20:03 AM »
Amptech:

I think Rob will be happy with this. So much to say about Gibson's and so many rarities. I said the same: not all basses have specs list. Maybe not necessary?  A choice.

I had some remarks, you have, so this is a cool joint effort!

I still think it is THE Gibson Bass Book cos all basses are in it and even prototypes. Rob did a great job with the pictures. A problem with pics from basses of other people is that you don't know what you get style wise. I love the Rickenbacker Bass Book with all kinds of pics, but the Gibson book is much more stylish.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 04:02:00 AM »
Amptech:

I think Rob will be happy with this. So much to say about Gibson's and so many rarities. I said the same: not all basses have specs list. Maybe not necessary?  A choice.

I had some remarks, you have, so this is a cool joint effort!

I still think it is THE Gibson Bass Book cos all basses are in it and even prototypes. Rob did a great job with the pictures. A problem with pics from basses of other people is that you don't know what you get style wise. I love the Rickenbacker Bass Book with all kinds of pics, but the Gibson book is much more stylish.

Agree 100%. I think it's important put these beauties in a more modern package like Rob did. I like the new Geddy Lee book as well, very good pics (of course limitless budget..) but I'd rather drool over Rob's presentation than my old 'Ultimate Guitar Book' which I'm sure had a good financial backing but perhaps not the best pictures and presentation/layout. Even more Recent books (2008 edition of the Bass book, some Gibson books etc..) follow that same approach and tend to be less exiting.

I'm not saying Rob needs to borrow Geddys Gibsons in all colours, but maybe the Guitar Museum in Umeå would allow him to shoot whatever model he needs, they have super facilities, a lot of original Gibson basses (many years of the EB even) and they are very nice lads. I've had some contact with Mike, I'm sure he'd be able to help if needed, even just with details and such. He's a nerd as well, in the best ways :)

this is a cool joint effort!

Very popular in Holland :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:07:11 AM by amptech »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 04:44:52 AM »
Thank you very much!
I really appreciate the help and the suggestions for improvement.

Not all bass guitars in the book have the specs, simply because I didn't have them when I put the book together.
The book was initially going to be a book about The Uwe Hornung Collection. Rather than an encyclopedia of Gibson basses.
But Uwe didn't want his name on the cover. I completely understand that. I am still immensely grateful for all the help that Uwe gave to make this book come to life.

When the book got out, people embraced it as the Gibson bass encyclopedia. Which is quite honourable.

I think it's a good idea to contact the Åhden brothers of the museum in Umeå.
I know Staffan has been in touch with them about the book. So they do know about it's existance.

It is certainly worth the extra effort to make the second edition better and more complete than the first edition.

Again, thank you.
And if you have any more suggestions or corrections, please do let me know!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 06:43:09 AM »

I know Staffan has been in touch with them about the book. So they do know about it's existance.

It is certainly worth the extra effort to make the second edition better and more complete than the first edition.

Again, thank you.

Ok, just heard with Mike and he says he'd be happy to help if you need. I PM you his contact info.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 12:32:48 PM »
Thank you very much!
I really appreciate the help and the suggestions for improvement.

Not all bass guitars in the book have the specs, simply because I didn't have them when I put the book together.
The book was initially going to be a book about The Uwe Hornung Collection. Rather than an encyclopedia of Gibson basses.
But Uwe didn't want his name on the cover. I completely understand that. I am still immensely grateful for all the help that Uwe gave to make this book come to life.

When the book got out, people embraced it as the Gibson bass encyclopedia. Which is quite honourable.

Again, thank you.

First, thanks for a wonderful book, I treasure my copy, even more so because Uwe signed it - Ever the nice guy!
Would you consider the addition of non stock custom basses?

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 01:10:19 PM »

Would you consider the addition of non stock custom basses?
a custom bass book would be niiiice

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 02:07:20 PM »
The difficulty with "custom" is that, "technically", could include Wish Bass... :o

If you go down that route it really depends what you want...

Logically, instruments that go down the Gibson route... Explorers, T'Birds, EB's etc... Hamer successfully replicated the Explorer... Alembic built some notable Explorers... The FenderBird and ExplorerBird are obvious choices, considering how many others are succcessfully honouring these... EB's go from John Birch to a number of others... and so it goes on...

But it's a mighty deep rabbit hole...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »

Always with the varmints.......  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 04:53:30 PM »
- How wide is the nut of the SG-Z? The book mentions that it is wide, but not how wide exactly.

Wider than than mine, irrespective whether you chose the left or - found it!!! - the right one, true; but I don't know where that "wide" description comes from, typical Dutch exaggeration if you ask me ("We're the largest country in the world - with the highest mountains." "The Germans took ALL our bikes." "Our team was unbeatable in 1974." etc.),

Doomie is - as always  :-* - correct 4.1 cm and something or 1 1/2 inches and something, I never thought it was/felt it as wide.

- When did Gibson stop offering the SG reissue in Worn Faded finish? Maybe when JC took over from Henry J?

I have no idea.

- When did they stop offering the Thunderbird in white finish?

Auch das weiß ich nicht. Collecting for fins is ungodly.

- What exactly are the controls on the 2018 RD Artist bass?

Maybe I should unpack mine after all?  ??? It's still in the box. I'm serious. It was the last Gibson bass I bought before the Henry J tenure ended so abruptly with Chapter 11. Who knows, basses from that era might be sought after in a few years? (The Golden Age of Henry J ...) And I'll have a NOS RD Artist Reissue still in original pre-Chapter 11 packaging!!! Good luck finding another one! ;D But your question does lead me to the conclusion that I should start to look into the box to see what's there and how it works.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:16:22 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 10:37:20 PM »
^^^

The Gibson Bunny Brunel bass is still for sale on Reverb. It's Henry-era. Buy it! If not for you, do it for Rob's second edition.
 :vader: