Author Topic: The Death of Melody  (Read 477 times)

westen44

• View Profile
The Death of Melody
« on: November 23, 2019, 08:45:25 PM »
A discussion by someone who usually focuses on film and classical music.  But in this video he expands the discussion to include many genres, even rock to a limited extent.  If his examples get too boring, then you might want to skip to 7:43. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Melody
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 01:21:50 PM »
I don't think melody is dying, it just has gone out of fashion as a stylistic means for some pop music - especially anyhing with a dance-electronica influence. People have also gotten used to simple melodies to the point where anything overtly melodious is quickly qualified either as "sounds like a musical" or "a Whitney Houston-type ballad". Funk und rap have become major influences on modern pop music and they generally don't feature a dominant vocal melody (but then neither did most traditional blues).
You don't hear a lot of Robert Flack - Killing Me Softly-style opulent melodies  on radio - and if you do it tends to be an oldie.

But it's all relative: Holding on to one note can actually sound quite melodic if you have changing harmonies...

As a bass player, I work with that a lot. I hold on to notes where the band changes harmonies and I tend to augment with thirds, fifths, sixths and sevenths where they stick to a note or I play harmonies to their riffs. What I don't like is follow slavishly all their chord changes - that has me generally exclaim after a while: "Am I your friggin' E string tuned down an octave or what?!"  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Melody
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »
I love a good melody, like Johnny Ramone's solo in I Wanna Be Sedated.  :mrgreen:

Before the melodic rock examples he gives, there was Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and countless blues musicians who made great music without the kind of melody he likes. I don't think much has changed.