Author Topic: RS Guitar Works/Fralin 60's Thunderbird pickups?  (Read 2425 times)

bassobsessed

• View Profile
RS Guitar Works/Fralin 60's Thunderbird pickups?
« on: August 30, 2008, 06:20:55 AM »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: RS Guitar Works/Fralin 60's Thunderbird pickups?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »
I put a pair in my 98 LP bass, they are wired but I screwed up and have a loud hum I need to work on.  Initially, they sound pretty darn good, but I've got to find my wiring fault to really say how they sound.  Maybe I can get back at this today and fix it then post a report.  I'll see what I can do!  I've been a bit focused on my 60s Vox and kinda let this one slide.........

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:21:14 AM »
One member here (godofthunder) bought an "Explorerbird" from RS last month that came with the Fralins.

senmen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 08:53:04 AM »
Yep, GOT has the coral red one that was fashioned after JE´s Explorerbird that he played in the Who Are You video

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 09:10:55 AM »
I've been wanting to try these for so long..... but I have no bass for em :)

Was hoping the Bachbird was gonna be that!
Full one pelvic bass shaggin'

Technophobia; pedals and more

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 07:00:49 AM »
 I do like these pickups in the Expbird. I have not tested them in a live situation. I took the bass to rehersal once and found that it sounded pretty much like I would expect. Nice mids a little blurry, good out put though not as hot as some of my vintage Tbirds. Lots of "growl" whatever the heck that means, people tell me Fender J basses growl well if they do it's not a Tbird growl. I never use the bridge pup it is shut right off. I bought a neck  pup to put into my NR model G powered Fbird but I am going to leave the model G in and build another for the LF. I think you will like these and if vintage Thunderbird tone is what you are looking for these will deliver. A more affordable solution that buying cover and sending them to Seymour Duncan though they do a spectacular job.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

bassobsessed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 07:28:51 AM »
GOT - thanks for that! It sounds like these may be the best choice for me, especially since the repro covers (to be filled with Duncan guts) aren't available at the moment. I don't suppose you've tried the Bartolinis?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 08:42:32 AM »
I'm working on the LP wiring now, got the wife to leave me a lone for a few minutes!  Hopefully I can fix it today!  I've never been a Bart pup faun, although I'm sire they can sound good, I've just tried a couple and didn't care for them.  I'm also not an active pup fan either.  Just plain old passive is fine for me.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 12:05:26 PM »
Here you go, two Fralins in this one.........

OK, she's done except for some fret dressing and nut finishing I need to do.  Got the messed up ground fixed (my fault of course when soldering).  It turned out even better than I imagined it would.  The Fralin pups are great and I mean great!  I did a little comparison to my 60s TB bass with the SD custom pup, and they both really sound very much alike.  Booming lows with just the neck pup and lots of mids and high growl with both or the neck pup only.  I have SIT rounds on it and they are a little softer sounding than normal rounds, but I like that it doesn't sound like a piano!

(More pics are posted in the 98 LP Bass thread in the Projects sub-forum)

senmen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »
Hey Dr,
your LP bass looks really cool........

Oliver

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 12:36:28 PM »
Hey Dr,
your LP bass looks really cool........

Oliver

Thanks, it sounds as good as it looks IMHO.  The pups and the mahogany body work together well in this bass.  The more I play it, the more I realize the neck profile is more like a Ric 4003.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »
That white Les Paul bass Looks KILLER. Although if I ever had a Les Paul Bass, I would put one of those ESP LTD Gibson style tune-o-matic bridge and tailpieces on. Just my thoughts.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 06:32:32 AM »
That white Les Paul bass Looks KILLER. Although if I ever had a Les Paul Bass, I would put one of those ESP LTD Gibson style tune-o-matic bridge and tailpieces on. Just my thoughts.

That would be cool, if you could find one.  I assume they don't sell them with a bass attached?

You can buy the Warwick bridge with tail piece from a shop I know of in England that they used on the last of the standard basses.  That's a killer bridge for sure and would be a nice replacement for this bass too.

bassobsessed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 02:18:29 PM »
Very cool bass, Dr B. Thanks to the input from everyone, I'm going to give the RS?Fralin a shot. This is for a basket case NR acquired from a Bass Outpost member, going to be rebuilt by Krishna at Boston Guitar Repair - I'll post pics as I get them. Thanks for the help, guys

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »
When they wire them up, be sure to use 500k pots for the volume, 250 or 300 k pots for tone controls and Orange drop resistors. the tone and output will be killer!!!