Author Topic: Spraying nitro in cold weather  (Read 895 times)

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
Spraying nitro in cold weather
« on: November 15, 2019, 02:54:09 PM »
I no longer have access to my cozy heated paintbooth and I must go back to painting outside.  Will be using the Preval  system as in the past before I had access to a proper paintbooth.  Next best thing, and have gotten great results with the Preval.  It is  winter in Ohio now and will have to finish the color/clear on my Epi Embassy Deluxe outside.  What are the temperature limits for painting nitro?   Always had a nice temp controlled booth. Advice needed! Will make it work. Will high 40's-low 50's work?  Any perameters temp wise that I should adhere to?  Thanks for your input!
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Spraying nitro in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 11:29:56 PM »
Hi, late reply here..

I moved my shop this spring, and in my new shop I had no room for a spray corner.  So I had to move the spraying equipment to my shed at home, a 3x3m with barn doors on one side. Unfortenately, all my 'fun' projects take forever these days, so the inverness green Epi ET-280 and some old radio cabinets have been nearly finished since mid summer. I recall some trouble in my late teens shooting rattlecan stuff wintertime, but can't remember what happened.

So, just recently I shot 9 clearcoats of nitro on my Epi - on November 2nd/3rd! Never shot nitro this late, it was -2 degrees celcius, some wind and 65% RH. That's about the worst conditions i have shot nitro in, and I think moisture is worse than low temperature. My favourite conditions when I had a place to shoot was 25 degrees and 35-40% RH.

But amazingly, the result was great, both on the Epi and the radio cabs (black nitro w. clearcoats). I'm not sure if it was luck, but there was no milk skin or any other problems. I really expected a mediocre result, but it came out great! Maybe I have just been too picky on the wheather conditions before..

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 09:00:54 AM »
oooh pics of the 280 pls..

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:36:17 PM »
oooh pics of the 280 pls..

I'll rub and polish next week, should be dry enough now. I haven't posted any of my recent Gibson projects, but photobucket is to blame! I'' try set up an imgur.

Any perameters temp wise that I should adhere to? 

I must add that even though I had good nitro results in -2C/65%RH, I guess it's important to mention that the instrument had the same temperature as the spraying environment. If I had the instrument in the house where it's warm and dry and brought it outside to spray, I'm sure it would turn out different. I only kept the spraygun lukewarm (held it in front of a garage warmer a couple of minutes) so I didn't freeze my hand off while shooting but paint and instrument was shed temperature (-2). How this actually worked is beyond me, of course 8)