Author Topic: Stingray moment..  (Read 1246 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Stingray moment..
« on: September 19, 2019, 02:03:59 AM »
Ok, not Gibson related but I have to share... I've posted stuff about my MusicMan rig before (HD-130 head with 212RH and 115RH/EV)
but the other day a '78 Stingray passed though my workshop.. It's for sale at the local music shop, but I had to borrow it a few hours
just to see if it was a good match to my 130 head, which is very sensitive to what you feed it with.. A mudbucker needs some eq to sound right, a P too.. But the Stingray was a real hand in glove! Sounds really good at any setting, and you can even push the transistor pre without making everything nasty. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, but this really blew me away! Although I grew up with AC/DC, it never
crossed my mind that I wanted a bass like Cliff's. But ever since I first saw one, I have liked the 3+1 head so much I actually lusted for one. But the ones I have tested, have not been that good (Ernie Ball's). Damn, if I wasn't so used to resting my thumb on the mudbucker (and actually not interested in going back to long scale) I'd consider coughing up the 3.5K they ask for it! It's near mint with just a nice light checkering.. a beauty! Well, a cool 'flirt' with something else anyway :)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Stingray moment..
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 09:36:51 PM »
That's a beauty!

I've played a few pre-Ernie Ball Stingrays and didn't care for any of them, given a choice I'd take the newer ones any day. To each his own.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 07:27:55 AM »
That's a real classic! I always liked the StingRay look and sound, but I never liked the necks enough to buy one. Plus, yeah, they need a thumb rest.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 08:37:34 AM »
You need a zero-mod thumbrest (scroll down for Stingray models)

Thirty-four bucks here. Problem solved!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 12:27:18 AM »
I've always liked the way they sound. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 06:20:20 AM »
Except for the G-string. Spoiled from Gibson basses, I find that lacking on quite a few Stingrays.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 03:43:45 PM »
Except for the G-string. Spoiled from Gibson basses, I find that lacking on quite a few Stingrays.

I have noticed that defect seems guitar specific.
Some seems okay but it's hard to fing enough to sample for the good ones.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »
Having a problematic G string wouldn't be good, especially since I probably use it more than most people.  It's a shame.  Because I've noticed Stingrays seem to often sound above average in sound tests, IMO. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 10:31:42 PM »
I've heard complaints about the weak G string on MM basses but the one I own and the one I used to own were fine, likewise with ones I've played but not owned.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 10:32:48 PM »
No G problems with this specimen. Not Gibson G but sounded fine.
On my '74 P, though.. there is very little going on between 5th and 9ht fret on the g string.
No wonder I never use it!