Author Topic: Reverend Basshouser Fatfish  (Read 1253 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Reverend Basshouser Fatfish
« on: September 05, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »
Apparently these have been out a few months, but I just noticed yesterday.
I like the looks of it a lot except that I really don't like reverse headstocks, I just find those baffling aesthetically and functionally!
https://www.reverendguitars.com/basses/basshouser-fatfish-32

Interesting variant on a P/J setup ... reversed positions and the P is farther from the bridge than a J would normally be. Maybe closer to where a Stingray pickup would be.
Too bad he didn't solo the P during the demo, unless I missed that. But I liked the solo'd J more than I usually do with those.
It has a nice character. I think I could get the sound more to my liking with a rig adjusted for less treble and more mids.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Rob

• View Profile
Re: Reverend Basshouser Fatfish
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 04:19:21 PM »
It seemed he opened with the P pickups and then switched to the Jazz about half way through the demo.
I like the body shape but don't like the reverse headstock.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 10:03:44 PM »
P/J ALERT!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:30:07 PM »
Gosh, another P/J, just what the world needs. At least the J is in the mid/neck position, but still...

IMHO those pickups and the Tele control plate don't go with the body style.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 03:26:47 AM »
Gosh, another P/J

Technically a J/P... a P/J entails certain locations, I'm sure that reversing them makes the bass sound different. I can't recall ever seeing a J/P before.

Ditto on the pickups looking out of context with this body style.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »
Also, the colors of the original photo are reminiscent (to me) of Antigua, something that's not for everyone.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
Rob - on second listen I think you are right - it might be solo'd P at the beginning.
It sounds to me like the recording rig is fairly mid-scooped ... though I can only guess. I wish people would always have at least part of their demos recorded direct + flat.  So far that's the only video I can find of this bass.

As for the finish - it's somewhat reminiscent of my yellowburst LPB-1, with a more subtle translucent finish in the middle ... I guess I'm a sucker for that!  I like silverbursts too.

I don't agree that the pups and plate are mismatched for the body. I think the body has an aesthetic that hangs together nicely. Sigh - that headstock though... Blech
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 02:35:08 PM »
Reverend seem to have a knack for making cluelessly ugly basses. I don't know what it is, but they always throw some random lines or curves into the body outline that ruins everything, or clutter up the hardware and controls. I should like their Dub King bass, but it looks like a Tonka toy Gretsch.

Worst offender is those Rumblefish basses. That pickguard is a hot mess of ugly lines and angles, the control layout is uninspired, the colour scheme is hideous and it has some random chrome trim around the edge of the body like a banjo. Just f***ing why????

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »
Reverend seem to have a knack for making cluelessly ugly basses. I don't know what it is, but they always throw some random lines or curves into the body outline that ruins everything, or clutter up the hardware and controls. I should like their Dub King bass, but it looks like a Tonka toy Gretsch.

Worst offender is those Rumblefish basses. That pickguard is a hot mess of ugly lines and angles, the control layout is uninspired, the colour scheme is hideous and it has some random chrome trim around the edge of the body like a banjo. Just f***ing why????

Interesting how tastes differ. I find the Reverend stuff consistently evokes styling touches of 50's automobiles, and I like them a lot.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."