Author Topic: Searching for Macca's missing bass  (Read 1559 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Searching for Macca's missing bass
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2024, 02:38:36 AM »
It is a fantastic article, and it discloses more of the story than I thought would be made public. Very interesting!

An article on the 'tear down' of Hofner restore the bass would be equally interesting. It is interesting that luthiers could take such liberties in the '60s. Presumably Jim Burns was just asked to make the bass like new? Hence the heavy poly sunburst, oversized pickup chassis, etc. John Birch was apparently notorious for going well beyond the scope of work required; replacing fretboards and shaving necks, refinishing everything in poly when the guitar was booked in for a fret replacement, etc.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 04:46:33 AM »
Nick thinks it's most likely Macca wants a sympathetic restauration, as they call it in car world. So no complete overhaul or refin, but just making it playable and sounding well again. If Höfner gets the job, I get the info and pics.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2024, 10:12:24 AM »
Well it's back. I knew it on october but I had to keep it secret:) At that time I had an interview with Nick Wass about the whereabouts, getiing it back, and authenticate it. I posted it in English and Dutch. Here's the English one.

https://www.debassist.nl/muzieknieuws/artikel/2-29077/paul-mccartneys-first-hfner-is-back

I get an Avast warning and block when I try to access this link. Is there a problem with it?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2024, 10:30:49 AM »
worked fine from Canada

Edit … on a tablet
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 01:23:33 PM by morrow »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2024, 11:11:54 AM »
I get an Avast warning and block when I try to access this link. Is there a problem with it?

Yes there is one virus scan which thinks we are affected. We fight it for over ten years now. We get in touch, they check it, they say there's nothing wrong... ....and they still block it. Drives me insane. Maybe try it on your phone, tablet or other computer.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 03:32:52 AM »
Why was it widely assummed all these years that the bass was stolen from a studio locker in 1969, and only recently it was discovered that the bass was stolen from a padlocked truck in 1972 — the breakthrough that led to finding it — when this was published in the Daily Mirror in Oct. 12th, 1972?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 03:50:10 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 10:37:40 AM »
That's the one million dollar question. I guess those roadies don't visit the bass nerd websites and forums

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 11:11:18 AM »
Yes there is one virus scan which thinks we are affected. We fight it for over ten years now. We get in touch, they check it, they say there's nothing wrong... ....and they still block it. Drives me insane. Maybe try it on your phone, tablet or other computer.

Weird. I've tried it in three browsers, and those which don't flag it as virus say the page cannot be reached.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2024, 03:50:07 PM »
Very strange, cos we have tens of thousands of hits. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the text