Author Topic: Proud papa  (Read 729 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Proud papa
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:36:25 PM »
Hello all,
Been a few years since I've posted anything, but I thought I'd share something pretty cool.

Next week, my youngest takes his band (Kaguu) to the UK on their first ever tour.  They're a Math-Rock/Progressive instrumental trio.
To think these guys physically met for the first time at our house in North Carolina (the guitarist and bassist are from Mexico) last June is astonishing.
They played for the first time ever on our deck for neighbors and friends - it was a blast.

They've put out a couple of EP's (recorded and mixed upstairs at the house), and they played two small festivals in Mexico this year - their first ever gigs.
From those shows, they were invited to play two festivals in the UK in August, as well as a 6-city-in-7-nights mini tour with 2 other bands between the festivals.

It's been a whirlwind, and we're awfully proud of these guys. They put together their 1st EP strictly by file sharing, and Nick did most of the mixing upstairs as we learned how to use the equipment we started to acquire. I've learned a ton about production and especially about mic'ing and recording drums just by helping out where I could.

Anyway, my wife and I are going over to see the first festival (Guildford) next week and the first three shows in Birmingham, Glasgow and Manchester, and then we have to head back to the US.  We'll be lucky enough to rent a car and drive up to Scotland for a couple of days. 

Nick also turns 21 while he's on that mini tour, which is pretty cool.  As a surprise, we're sending his brother over there on his birthday to meet them in Brighton. He'll be their driver (to get them from Brighton to Bristol for the ArcTanGent festival).
Keeping this a secret has been a chore.

Anyway, just another boring dad post - just wanted to share.
If anyone is going to be in Guildford, UK for the weekend of 2-3 August for RADAR Festival, look me up - I'm the broke guy smiling ear-to-ear.

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Proud papa
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:18:53 AM »
Wow cool!! Maybe you can post some music or vids here?

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 12:48:58 AM »
Wow cool!! Maybe you can post some music or vids here?

Thanks Chris

The band's name is Kaguu.  Fairly mellow & melodic w/ lots of time signature changes  - here are a few links:

Videos (recorded live in the music room - they nicknamed them the "Red Sun Sessions"):
Ruby -

Onyx -

Audiio EP's (also on Spotify, Bandcamp)
Wistful (2nd EP) -

Hawridge (1st EP) -

Steve

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 07:24:27 AM »
Very cool. I'll check out some of those videos later.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:03:37 AM »
A deservedly-proud dad post!  I like it.  Good fortune to them, and congrats to dad.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 10:07:08 AM »
Congrats Pop!
Talented kid!!!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 11:56:13 AM »
I remember your posts when your son and friends first got together to play.

Congratulations to your son and the other band members.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »
Not sure what bit of Scotland you are aiming to get too, Steve... I'm prob a wee bit to far north... Inverness...

Good luck with the trip...!  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 01:56:46 PM »
Congrats to the boys and have a happy trip!

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
Thanks for all the kind replies.  I'll pass along the wishes to the boys.
Hopefully things go well, but like I told Nick: This might be the greatest thing you ever do in your life - enjoy and soak in every minute.

Interesting side note for anyone using wireless:  I bought a wireless IEM system for the band, which will allow them to bring in a backing track and click for drums.  The guitarist came up last week and tested them along with Nick and they absolutely love what it does for them. 

We found out a few days ago that OFCOM requires a license to use wireless RF in the UK for the 500-700 MHZ range, and apparently it's heavily enforced.  Every gig (address, time, etc.) needed to be registered.  After we paid, we got a 4 page license schedule with the ranges for each gig.  I/We had no idea.  Just passing that along, but you probably already knew all this.

Learning...

Again, thanks for the kind replies.

Steve 

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 01:42:03 AM »
That is fantastic Steve! Enjoy the mini tour. And lots of succes for the boys!