Author Topic: Guitars The Museum  (Read 646 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Guitars The Museum
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:12:00 AM »
Finally got to visit Guitars The Museum in Umeå, Sweden...

What an amazing collection! I contacted them before I got there, because I'm mainly interested in old amplifiers (and Gibson basses).
One of the brothers (the owners of the collection), Michael Åhden gave a private tour for me and my wife - how nice is that!

It's just too much, they have everything, the '58 Explorer bass being the only exception :)
Got to see all the Gibson basses I do not yet own, a bit sad that they were all behind thick glass. I'd love to play a '53 EB or a '60 EB0..
OK, I had to check out the nocasters, broadcasters, 50's les pauls, explorers... the '58 flying V etc. too, while I was there.

Quite a few celebrity owned basses, too bad I did not take a photo of the JAE Thunderbird 2. But the JAE  slab '66 was nice too.
Strongly recommended, especially for you T-birders here!

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Guitars The Museum
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 08:22:02 AM »
That looks fantastic.  I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to go to Sweden anytime soon, though. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 11:23:20 AM »
What a great tour.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »
Very nice. I can understand why they protect the instruments from the public, though.

@Stjofön Big is from Umeå.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 07:04:12 AM »
I wrote a quite long article on the brother's collection, must have been like 25 years ago, for the newspaper I worked with. It was a long shot, from my side. Who, of our readers, would be interested in old guitars (42 000 copies sold every day of the Västerbottens-Kuriren at the time)? Quite a few, it turned out! Some of them got in touch and wanted to hear more about the Åhdén brothers.
I was really impressed by their collection. And it's grown a lot since then. Anyone wanting to see the parts of the collection that's up for the show, should get a ticket to Umeå. Not to far (about 400 kilometers) from the Artic Circle!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 09:59:25 AM »
I wrote a quite long article on the brother's collection, must have been like 25 years ago, for the newspaper I worked with. It was a long shot, from my side. Who, of our readers, would be interested in old guitars (42 000 copies sold every day of the Västerbottens-Kuriren at the time)? Quite a few, it turned out! Some of them got in touch and wanted to hear more about the Åhdén brothers.
I was really impressed by their collection. And it's grown a lot since then. Anyone wanting to see the parts of the collection that's up for the show, should get a ticket to Umeå. Not to far (about 400 kilometers) from the Artic Circle!

They had a couple of old local paper articles about the brothers on display, maybe it was the one you wrote back then?

We actually visited Umeå twice last week, as it was a nice place to stop 'halfway' between home and my in-laws in Finnmark.
A nice 3300 miles drive in a '95 Toyota Hiclass crammed in a week's vacation :)