Author Topic: Matching headstock Embassy?  (Read 1368 times)

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
Matching headstock Embassy?
« on: May 01, 2019, 07:33:41 PM »
     Hey guys!  Long time not here (health issues) but I'm still kickin!!!  Decided to dig out my 65 Embassy that I got from my great bud Bionic Joe before I got sick. Needs a total resto (I got it as a bare body, no parts) but that is right up my alley!  Have all the parts now, and have decided to do it Kerry Green or Frost Blue like the 66 T-Bird that I restored in my avatar. Any other suggestions?
     Also, since it is going to be a solid color, should the headstock match the body color like a T-Bird or should it be black with a gold decal?  Looked all over the net and couldn't find any info.or pix of an original that wasn't cherry red.  Having a hard time sourcing the gold headstock logo with the proper font and style also. Any info appreciated!!!!  Tony
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Matching headstock Embassy?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 10:10:09 PM »
Funny, I looked all over the net yesterday, to find pics of green epi's with batwing headstock.

I'm trying to rescue a Epi ET-280, and plan to shoot inverness green onto it - with green head... and a batwing! (head is damaged/hacked)

I did see a couple off green Embassy's, but maybe they were refins? All the coloured ones I saw had black heads with gold logo.

EDIT: rothko & frost have made me gold decals that looks good, they do custom logo's. Not sure if they print brandnames, but would not hurt to ask?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:01:00 AM »
EDIT: rothko & frost have made me gold decals that looks good, they do custom logo's. Not sure if they print brandnames, but would not hurt to ask?

They do. I bought a gold Epiphone logo from them a few years ago. I told them I was restoring an Epiphone Newport.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »

I'm trying to rescue a Epi ET-280, and plan to shoot inverness green onto it - with green head... and a batwing! (head is damaged/hacked)

ooh looking forward to pics of that. my first bass was an et-280, I butchered it when it died on me, both body and neck ended up in projects that I'm happy with but I do feel a pang of remorse every now and then. I have a an ebay search set up for one and I daydream about rescuing  one to atone for my sins. I like the idea of racing stripes on one.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 10:33:59 PM »
ooh looking forward to pics of that. my first bass was an et-280, I butchered it when it died on me, both body and neck ended up in projects that I'm happy with but I do feel a pang of remorse every now and then. I have a an ebay search set up for one and I daydream about rescuing  one to atone for my sins. I like the idea of racing stripes on one.

You can set up a pretty broad search if you want one, as anyone could buy some of these from Matsumoku and have their brandname stamped onto it. I think mine is a Lyle 1820 or Aria Diamonds 1820T. Also Luxor (Germany?), Commodore N-180 and Ventura are brandnames you see on it as well as Epiphone. But I think only the epi have 2+2 headstock, though I'm not sure.

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 08:35:11 PM »
    Thanks for the input!  That decal pic you posted is just what this bass needs.  I'm an old f***er so I'm pretty challenged on computer stuff but I will attempt to post pix of the resto as it progresses. Maybe I can find a young kid who can guide me through it!  >Like my son says...  ' Dad, if you spend as much time trying to learn this stuff as you do bitching about it, you would already know it!!'  Hard for my dinosaur ass to argue with that!! 

Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 09:07:18 AM »
    >Like my son says...  ' Dad, if you spend as much time trying to learn this stuff as you do bitching about it, you would already know it!!'  Hard for my dinosaur ass to argue with that!!

Good point!  I'm 69 in two weeks and this is pretty easy stuff.  With enough good beer, you will master it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 12:50:51 AM »
Got the correct headstock logo thru  a link my buddy sent me.  Vintage correct. Thanks Joe!  Hard to work on it here at the retirement facility but damnit I'm gonna get this thing done.  Got it before I got sick. Got a Preval spray setup and got some Frost Blue left over from my resto  (in my avatar)  of my'67 to shoot thru it.  Got the ok to spray it in the far corner of the parking garage. Can hang it and do a first rate paint job on it with the Preval!  The Preval setup is great.  Used it before I built my paintbooth in my house.    Will keep you current on the Embassy restoration if you are interested.  This thing is going to be a beautiful first rate restoration like the guitars I have built and restored in the past.  A '64 Epi Embassy Deluxe in Frost Blue?   Foogettaboutit!!   This thing is going to be a stunner. Looking forward to sharing it with you if you would enjoy my sharing it with you as I did with a few of my restorations in the past.  You guys here RAWK! Thanks! Tony.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 07:26:17 AM »
Sounds cool! Glad you're able to work on it there. Looking forward to seeing the results.

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 07:04:34 PM »
     Yup, my hard Italian head is determined to do a first rate job on it as I have done in the past. Only now, with the Preval setup instead of my killer paintbooth at home. Bought the Stu-Mac nozzles and anxious to check 'em out.  They always only stock first rate stuff.  Gotta adapt to my new circumstance and situation, and I'm pretty damn persistent..  This Embassy will be A KILLER with the all chrome hardware, and that gorgeous Frost Blue correct 'color chart' custom color.   Same color as the '67 T-Bird in my avatar.  I only work on it when I can. I have good and bad days. But my great optimistic attitude and goals when (and if) I can walk again gets me through. BLESSED with all the support!  Will post pix as this sucker gets to full resto status. Hope you will like my sharing with you the 'rescue' of this rare (they only made 400, in Kalamazoo!) classic instrument. Can't wait to hear it thru my killer bass rig!