Author Topic: Cataldo Basses JAEbird through Hiwatts  (Read 2810 times)

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
Re: Cataldo Basses JAEbird through Hiwatts
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
That kills, Scott!
Sounds like a 60's Bird to me!  What head and cabs are you using Scott? I had a 72 DR103 with an SVT cab and with my NR T-Bird IV it CRUSHED it. Sounded like a freekin' Steinway!
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »
   Running a DR201, DR103 heads. Cabs are one 2150 and two 4123 cabs.  I'd like someone more cabs when I can find them.0
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 08:38:08 PM »
Do you mic, or line out to the PA?  I found that even with just the DR103 and the SVT cab that the stage volume got pretty loud. Of coarse you just MUST get the tubes working to get the amp showing it's true character, we all know that.  That is not only with cranked Marshalls, it applies to tube bass amps too!  Have been fiddling with a SVP-PRO with an an old old Altec power amp bridged 150x150 to 300 watts mono.  THE BEST bass amp I have ever had, hands down!  You can crank the FIVE 12ax 7s and still get a driven tone without the overwhelming stage volume even with the SVT cabinet! In all my years of touring with Acoustic 360's and 371's, I only wish we had that technology back in the 70's!
 But, NOTHING like a tube amp for bass like a Hiwatt or an SVT if it works with the stage volume that you can live with. Scott, your bass rig sounds AWESOME!  As a fellow 60's T-Bird fanatic, and I want to commend you for all the repro parts and your enthusiasm for us fanatics of the old T-Bird!  Your playing is KILLER BTW!!!

Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 06:08:29 AM »
  Thanks so very much for the kind words.  I use a SM 57 on my 4×12 and thats it, if pushed I'll let them take the direct out from my DR201 ( modded by "Swin" Charlie Swinton part of Slades road crew). I am trying to keep this old school thing going as long as I can. A 1x10 combo and in ears just can't compete with the experience and sound of playing through a big tube rig. My Cataldo Fenderbird and Thunderbucker pickups really are half of the equation.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:38:45 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2019, 08:02:58 AM »
A 1x10 combo and in ears just can't compete with the experience and sound of playing through a big tube rig. My Cataldo Fenderbird and Thunderbucker pickups really are half of the equation.

I'll pass that on to Steve, Scott! Gotta keep him motivated ;D You're an inspiration!