Author Topic: Some Mike Rutherford goodness  (Read 3182 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Some Mike Rutherford goodness
« on: March 22, 2019, 05:06:30 AM »
I've always liked mr. Rutherford's bass playing even though he rates it himself as "average". Some very inventive lines and a great pick sound.

I had never noticed the 8-string bass on this EP track (from "Spot The Pigeon") before. He used the Hagström briefly circa 1977 and 1978, the other tracks AFAIK are "One For The Vine", "Burning Rope" and the live version of "I Know What I Like".

The fast section is most likely played on a 4-string Shergold.

Rob

• View Profile
Re: Some Mike Rutherford goodness
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »
That is nice.
Thanks

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:26:44 PM »
I used to listen to a lot of Genesis when I was young and when I didn't really know what a bass was. Some years ago I interviewed Mike and I listened to my favourite albums and songs again and I was blown away by the bass lines and his sound. I guess any British '70s prog rock band needed to have a gnarly Rick:)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 10:44:25 AM »
It's tasteful, introspective and lyrical, but kind of tame (in comparison, Chris Squire was the opposite of tame), the fast part does nothing for me I'm afraid. I don't dig the guy from Tower of Power either and surf guitar sixteens generally give me headaches after a short while. There, I said it. The Dream Theater bassist overplays like that too. I'm not into that school of "how many times can I strike the same note within one second", it quickly sounds mechanical to me.

"Tasteful, introspective and lyrical, but kind of tame" - which sort of sums this public school boy's group up.  :popcorn: Hackett was the only guy with some grit in that band - and he wasn't from a public school, so there!

Genesis (even though I appreciate much of their music - excellent keyboarder -, but it is perhaps telling that Calling All Stations is my favourite one  8) ) is one of those few bands where the bass never attracts my attention, the other one is Led Zeppelin. On live recordings I always wondered why some of JPJ's bass lines were so lifeless - until I realized he was playing all those lines with his feet while he was sitting at the keyboards!  :mrgreen:

I'm gonna see Hackett pretty soon live so be gentle with my criticism!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 02:54:52 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 06:41:30 PM »
Mike Rutherford wrote Land of Confusion. That's goodness enough for me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 04:27:31 AM »
There is nothing wrong with his songwriting skills. I can even listen to, uhum, Mike & The Mechanics though that approaches guilty pleasure with me. These days he seems to prefer guitar playing in any case.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 09:20:47 AM »
I meant that as a compliment.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »
That's what I thought. Stadium rock you like.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 01:59:52 PM »
That's what I thought. Stadium rock you like.

You wish!  :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 11:32:34 AM »
My faith that betterment of you as a person is still a faint possibility is undeterred!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 07:48:41 AM »
Finally listened to this yesterday. I've always thought Mike was an under-appreciated bass player. It's a shame he decided to become "lead guitarist", but that's his choice.

Funny how similar all 8 string basses sound.  ;D

I just saw the Musical Box last Saturday, a national touring Genesis tribute band that recreates entire Gabriel-era shows. They mixed it up this time, including a Collins set with material from Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering. Really great. The keyboardist really stood out. I just wish we could see his hands as he was buried behind a stack of vintage keys. The Rutherford guy had THREE double-necks for the different eras - custom Ric, Microfrets, and Shergold.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »

I just saw the Musical Box last Saturday, a national touring Genesis tribute band that recreates entire Gabriel-era shows. They mixed it up this time, including a Collins set with material from Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering. Really great. The keyboardist really stood out. I just wish we could see his hands as he was buried behind a stack of vintage keys. The Rutherford guy had THREE double-necks for the different eras - custom Ric, Microfrets, and Shergold.

Saw them a while back doing Lamb, they were really good.

I like Gabriel era Genesis, but never thought about the bass as something that stood out in any way. I have built a couple of pedal synths, though - and if I did not like 70's prog I probably wouldn't know what it was. So maybe Rutherford made an impression on me after all, but there is no doubt what he plays fits the music very well!

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 06:43:07 PM »
...the Musical Box...
I saw them about 10 years ago.  To me, they were like watching a theatre musical, pretty good but it just didn't really float my boat.  The Rutherford character, particularly as he was (is) a lefty - never seen Mike play lefty!  :mrgreen:

For reference on my characterization of the band The Musical Box, I saw Genesis seven times, from April '73 (their first US tour (opening for It's A beautiful Day), up through the summer of '77, the W&W tour.