Author Topic: bass amp and guitar amp for full frequency coverage  (Read 2457 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
bass amp and guitar amp for full frequency coverage
« on: March 16, 2019, 11:55:49 AM »
can I ask some advice of you amp guys on something not on bass topic?

I've just got an electric drumkit for home practice, so I was wondering, it has a stereo output, can I put one channel each into a 100W peavey bass combo and a 15W Marshall practice amp to give me good definition of both Hi and Low frequencies?

Not gonna really driving them hard, like I say home practice, but I'd like the kick to thump and the brassware to sizzle and there is no room in the room for another Amp. Can I  damage anything by driving different rated  amps ?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:28:16 PM by wellREDman »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: bass amp and guitar amp for full frequency coverage
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 01:31:20 PM »
Our drummer has his 2nd electric kit setup in our music room with a single powered PA speaker... runs fine through that... can check models if you wish...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 02:15:49 AM »
The bass amp will probably give low end thump, but a guitar amp will not be the best for cymbals. A guitar amp is more of a midrange amp, and even if has eq the speaker is not likely to sound good over 7khz. A bass amp with a horn will probably be better, but you can always give it a try.

I don't know what the output of the drums is, but if you have a line level output you might have some issues plugging into normal guitar amp inputs. Check if you have a line in somewhere on your amps if that's the case.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 03:52:27 AM »
Headphones is out of the question?

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 06:33:50 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys

Headphones is out of the question?
yeah I will probably be using them a lot but occasionally I want to make a bit of noise

Our drummer has his 2nd electric kit setup in our music room with a single powered PA speaker... runs fine through that... can check models if you wish...?
Thanks for the offer but no need. I used powered floor wedges to run the e-kit at the school so I know that is an option

The bass amp will probably give low end thump, but a guitar amp will not be the best for cymbals. A guitar amp is more of a midrange amp, and even if has eq the speaker is not likely to sound good over 7khz. A bass amp with a horn will probably be better, but you can always give it a try.

I don't know what the output of the drums is, but if you have a line level output you might have some issues plugging into normal guitar amp inputs. Check if you have a line in somewhere on your amps if that's the case.

I tried the school one through an old HH 150W bass combo, nice thump but I could hardly hear the cymbals cant remember if it had a horn

interesting that a guitar is only midrange tho, thanks for that. my guitar amp has a CD input so that should be ok (and bypass the gain/crunch)

The main thing is that I don't really have room for another speaker (the spare bedroom is going to be losing the spare bed just to fit in the drumkit) or currently the finances for full range amp  amp so I want to make do with the amps that are currently there.

I just wanted to check I wasn't going to damage anything by running the signal to two very mismatched amps

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 11:27:35 PM »
What kind of marshall is it?

I can't see you ruining anything, at least you won't ruin the drums electronics. As for the amps, you might wanna use 'common sense' when dialing in the low end eq on the bass amp. That kick drum probably delivers lower frequenzies than a bass guitar, not sure of the specs.

As for your marshall, depending on type, the main 'issue' I guess will be quality of sound. If it has a line in, use it, maybe you are able to get something undistorted out of it at listening volume. Some recent (MG series) marshalls have issues and break down easily, but this specific setup is new to me.