Author Topic: How the 2019 Grammy Awards Basically Ignored Rock & Metal  (Read 2294 times)

westen44

• View Profile
How the 2019 Grammy Awards Basically Ignored Rock & Metal
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:01:34 AM »
I haven't watched this crap in years.  But it looks like it has even gotten worse than ever if that's even possible. 

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/grammy-2019-rock-snubs/
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: How the 2019 Grammy Awards Basically Ignored Rock & Metal
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
There is no justice until Dick Dale is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  (The Ventures got in, and that was a step in the right direction.)

The Grammys can come later.

https://www.facebook.com/rockandrollhalloffame/posts/please-everyone-request-the-rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame-to-induct-guitar-legend-dic/10153924466509107/

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
That is why it is a good thing a band like Greta Van Fleet exists. They at least get nominated/mentioned.

They do have humor btw:

My money is actually on these guys for crossover appeal of a rock band into pop audiences:

And they sure know how to work/milk the crossover aspect to the max:

Don't knock'em, it is what needs to be done to get rock out of the ghetto.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:54:42 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
There is no justice until Dick Dale is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  (The Ventures got in, and that was a step in the right direction.)

The Grammys can come later.

https://www.facebook.com/rockandrollhalloffame/posts/please-everyone-request-the-rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame-to-induct-guitar-legend-dic/10153924466509107/

I know you're a big Dick Dale fan, but it's highly unlikely he'll ever get in, at least under the present management. AFAIK none of his singles or albums ever charted. The Ventures charted dozens of albums and sold over 100 million records in all.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 05:44:19 PM »
Understood, all he did was invent surf music and continue to play it for 60+ years. I know that politically that doesn't count with the RRHOF. The Ventures certainly earned it both by charting and longevity, and i salute them!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rexdiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 09:41:38 AM »
On the metal front, at least High on Fire won. They're great and have been at it for a long time. It was pretty funny to see their acceptance speech though, the venue looked pretty empty by that late in the evening...

Agreed on Dick Dale deserving a spot in the RRHOF. Influential to say the least!
Go fast, take chances.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »
This is possibly old news here, but I wasn't aware of it until now:

Compared to how their role models acted in the past, I believe Great van Fleet are the most fortright band on earth! I can't believe that Jimmy Page had the nerve to credit this song totally to himself on Led Zeppelin I after hearing Holmes perform it two years earlier while opening for the Yardsbirds (when Page was still with them). That is just crass and I hope even the usual suspects of Led Zep apologists here :mrgreen: agree for once.

He never paid the guy a dime for it either. To this friggin' day. That's obscene.

Still so sure about Spirit's Taurus not having been the blueprint for Stairway to Heaven?

westen44

• View Profile
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 06:16:38 AM »
Thanks, that at least alleviates things somewhat. I did not know.

Pagey's reaction in the interview is bottomless. What a notorious liar. Other people caught stealing -  Keith Richards, Blackmore etc. - are at least frank and good-natured about it, Page is always all huffy-insulted (for no good cause).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:19:43 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 10:35:25 AM »
I had only heard a few things about the Jake Holmes situation.  What I was more baffled by was the Randy California estate case.  I don't see how the jury could come to an objective conclusion when they weren't even allowed to hear the songs. 

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
That is why it is a good thing a band like Greta Van Fleet exists. They at least get nominated/mentioned.

They do have humor btw:

That's not humour tho, just appropriating the schtick of another classsic rock band (and not even one that is as much of an overt influence on their style - makes not sense to me).... unless you count how the 3 bottom dudes look like clones of each other - are they related? Incestuous scene joke? Naw that's too cerebral.

And I do not agree that they are saving rock at all.  Their main fanbase is retired blues dads and some of the sons/wives/daughters thereof... and my wife, but she might be over them now - hasn't played one of their songs within my earshot since before the holidays.  To 'save' rock (I don;t believe it needs saving - eveolution is not death) you need to bring in new blood (fans not just musicians) and they have failed at that (evidence: nominated but didn't win - that usually means critical acceptance, the cirtics here being old blues dads, but not enough young fandom in the largest current marketing demopgraphic: echo boomers aka gen Y aka millenials).

I was actually selling a vintage cymbal to some manager at LiveNation.  My studio is next to a major local venue and we met there cuz he was running the show next door.  He invited me in to check out this "awesome drummer" sound checking and I had to poker face and make excuses to leave when he told me it was the Greta Van Fleet guy. Like yeah, they're technically skilled musicians, but I just don't enjoy wankery for wankery's sake.  Stylistically they're just Zep with a bit of Sabbath mixed in (mostly with the leads and vocals on about half the songs I've heard); not  a breath of fresh air in there anywhere, and as I've said somewhere on the board before, Wolf Mother (more of you lot liked those guys IIRC) beat them to it by a decade.... though with the increasing speed of change these days maybe it was time for that to come around again.  Whatever.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »
That's not humour tho, just appropriating the schtick of another classsic rock band (and not even one that is as much of an overt influence on their style - makes not sense to me).... unless you count how the 3 bottom dudes look like clones of each other - are they related? Incestuous scene joke? Naw that's too cerebral.

They are brothers, except for the drummer.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 02:45:17 AM »
Here we go.  Stairway to Heaven. 

--Blaise Pascal

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 03:54:29 AM »
"Man, Led Zeppelin really butchered this song when they did the cover!?"  :mrgreen:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 04:22:15 AM »
 :mrgreen:

--Blaise Pascal