Author Topic: RIP Pete Shelley  (Read 939 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
RIP Pete Shelley
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:16:20 PM »
Gone at 63 of an apparent heart attack.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: RIP Pete Shelley
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 02:35:13 AM »
Seven years ago we played at a festivall and The Buzzcocks played on the same stage a bit later. When they guys came in I noticed they were small and they had this faded glory look.

Fast forward an hour. There was a problem. The Buzzcocks had two bottles of a certain champagne on their rider. The organiser bought the right bottle, but the local shop didn't got a second, so he bought a similar champagne price wise, but another brand. Conclusion? The Buzzcocks refused to play.

Another local guitarist was in a band which was big in The Netherlands at the end of the seventies, early eighties. He was there with his new band and he knew The Buzzcocks from his early days, so he was send into the dressing room to negotiate. After 30 minutes he came out: The Buzzcocks agreed to play if they got 40 euros (roughly equivalent to 40 dollars) to buy that champagne themselves.

You can imagine they lost some credits for me in this Spinal Tap moment.

Fast Forward again. It was magic to see and hear this band play Ever Fallen In Love. Period. I smiled. But I was backstage watching the band. Every couple of minutes the band turned away from the audience and gave eachother this 'what a bad audience, we don't want to be here'-look.

More credits lost.

Still a great band back in the days.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:33:04 AM »
RIP Pete. Ever Fallen In Love shows up pretty regularly in my music mix at work.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 12:33:24 PM »
Far too young... rip...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...