Author Topic: An Article About Jim Lea  (Read 7265 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: An Article About Jim Lea
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 06:15:54 PM »
Indeed, both do well with the annual "Merry X-mas Everybody"-paycheck alone, which is always good for a higher six digit figure in Pound Sterling. And Jim Lea is a neighbour of Senora Ciccone in London, so likely not the worst part of town.

That's very good to hear. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 11:26:47 PM »
Mind you, this was almost still formative Slade.

(And if I may say so - this above vid is living proof that TV white glare existed and that with an ebony tone - the acoustic guitar and the bass - you could get around it!  :mrgreen: )

I like this content, some good EB-3 action there. An unmolested early version, although in the studio shots it appears to have a middle pickup installed. And a handrest!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 08:03:03 AM »
"I need a "like" button!"

They were absolutely gorgeous-divinely dumb - that's an art in my book!

And DuBrow had great "sleazy adult shop vendor" appeal. "You want something with animals, huh?"  :mrgreen:

Jim Lea says the royalties from QR's cover of "Cum On Feel The Noize" bought him a(nother, he moved into real estate transactions after the demise of Slade) house, so no complaints there.

But my favorite song of QR is actually the understated "Don't Want To Let You Go", which shows that subtlety wasn't an alien concept to them:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:04:38 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
I like this content, some good EB-3 action there. An unmolested early version, although in the studio shots it appears to have a middle pickup installed. And a handrest!

That bass got Birch'd over time. From memory Jim Lea sent it off to John Birch for work, and it came back refinished and more extensively modified than requested.

Middle period:

Fully Birch'd:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »
"I need a "like" button!"

They were absolutely gorgeous-divinely dumb - that's an art in my book!

And DuBrow had great "sleazy adult shop vendor" appeal. "You want something with animals, huh?"  :mrgreen:

Jim Lea says the royalties from QR's cover of "Cum On Feel The Noize" bought him a(nother, he moved into real estate transactions after the demise of Slade) house, so no complaints there.

But my favorite song of QR is actually the understated "Don't Want To Let You Go", which shows that subtlety wasn't an alien concept to them:

Just so, yes. A certain amount of "Dumb" works well with me, (probably why I like The Darkness so much) and QR was right there on their first record. It seems as though I have a limit, I can recall really liking Ted Nugent's self titled album, pretty much everything after that sank into bombast that even as a teenager I found I didn't like.     
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »
He never bettered that 1st album, it was a great organic little band he had there and his ego wasn't yet nuclear. It went downhill from there with spots of light whenever Derek St. Holmes rejoined (but tellingly never stay very long). QR were just dumbish, the Nuge could be gratingly inane and it was unfortunately progressive with him.  :-\

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
He never bettered that 1st album, it was a great organic little band he had there and his ego wasn't yet nuclear. It went downhill from there with spots of light whenever Derek St. Holmes rejoined (but tellingly never stay very long). QR were just dumbish, the Nuge could be gratingly inane and it was unfortunately progressive with him.  :-\

Yep!

Returning to Mr. Lea, he and his Gibson ( and Dave Hill) were very influential on me during my early High School years, I play nothing like him, but his choice of a Gibson bass struck home with me, my first bass was a Japanese EB-0 copy that I wish I still had.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 11:14:07 PM »

Yep!

Returning to Mr. Lea, he and his Gibson ( and Dave Hill) were very influential on me during my early High School years, I play nothing like him, but his choice of a Gibson bass struck home with me, my first bass was a Japanese EB-0 copy that I wish I still had.

That's gonna be hard, all those vintage japanese EB-0's are now stripped for parts, and the wood was sold off to butt plug manufacturers :)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 06:35:42 PM »
That's gonna be hard, all those vintage japanese EB-0's are now stripped for parts, and the wood was sold off to butt plug manufacturers :)

Yeah, and those sprouting frets HURT!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »
That is why fretless was invented.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 11:04:32 PM »
That is why fretless was invented.

You mean headless :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 09:31:03 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Touché!