Author Topic: An Article About Jim Lea  (Read 7262 times)

westen44

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:26:27 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Jim Lea
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »
Mate, when you start a thread like this with a title like that I'm going to assume the dude has just died or something.  :o

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Jim Lea
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »
Mate, when you start a thread like this with a title like that I'm going to assume the dude has just died or something.  :o

I fixed the title.  It really is unfortunate, though, that so many times we do have deaths to post about  That's, of course, inevitable, but it seems the last few years there have been an abnormal number of them. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

ilan

• View Profile
Re: An Article About Jim Lea
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 03:45:00 AM »
I liked Slade in my teens, back in the 70's. Jim Lea wrote some great songs. Far Far Away was my favorite, with that bass fill, the bass carries the whole song. I would never have guessed it was an EB0... actually a John Birch replica.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
Love 'em and got to see them a few times, far back as '74 but not since the 80's... part of my youth...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »
   One of my favorite bass players! Jim is in my top three along with Entwistle and McCartney!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 03:38:22 PM »
An unsung hero - except here. Judging from the picture on that last EP, the disease took its toll.

When I first saw it, I wondered whether he was undergoing hormone treatment for a gender change (it wouldn't have surprised me - the introvert he always was). Now I understand that the lack of testosterone is not his choice. Get well, Jim.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »
I just ran across this British site which looks pretty good.  Among many other things, they have a spot in which they review classic albums.  If you don't already have "Slade Alive!" this makes you want to get it.

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/slade-slade-alive-album-of-the-week-club-review

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 08:07:31 AM »
It's a no frills live album with almost only covers (but done in inimitable Slade style), it sounds like a club gig with local heroes returning after they have honed their skills on a zillion gigs. This  particular rendition of a Loving Spoonful chestnut is not from the Alive! album, but the song itself is featured there as well in a very similar version.

Same with this Ten Years After track here,

not from Alive!, but contained there as well in a similar performance.

Mind you, this was almost still formative Slade.

They weren't yet glam as you can see by the outfits and hadn't discovered their own skills as songwriters yet (with a huge Lennon-McCartney influence, which they have never denied). They were just a devastatingly good live band with mostly covers at that point in time.

A few years later they were like this ...

(And if I may say so - this above vid is living proof that TV white glare existed and that with an ebony tone - the acoustic guitar and the bass - you could get around it!  :mrgreen: )

Noddy Holder's vocal prowess is often underrated, in fact he is a bit of a Brit John Fogerty in that department.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:32:34 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 10:01:03 AM »
It is still baffling that Slade found little success in the U.S., but Quiet Riot was successful with Slade songs, especially "Cum On Feel the Noize."  But Jim Lea was accurate in the article where he says Americans never got Slade and that's too bad  At the very least we could have been enriched by that Slade Christmas song.  I really like it. 

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »
Timing is everything. Quiet Riot rode the cresting wave of hair metal and had the breakout success of MTV to help. Jim was a great musician but maybe he should have pranced around on stage in spandex while licking his fretboard and using both hands over and under to play. Might have helped.  ;D
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 10:24:48 AM »
Yes, Tai Ming, that elusive Chinese fellow. By the time QR emerged, Slade had 15 years of touring life behind them, they were tired.

Noddy Holder observed - when Slade were opening for Humble Pie in the US - along the lines: "The way Steve Marriott would stretch out any song to 20 minutes of endless improvisations and ad-libbing, yet entirely captivate a US stadium audience all the while, that just wasn't us and we never found the knack to do it. But it was what US audiences expected from a rock band at the time and we suffered for it. Instead we become everybody's favourite opening act to work up an audience for the main act."

BTW, in defense of QR, when I first saw them, I was really impressed by their energy, single-mindedness and stage act. I also liked Kevin DuBrow's sneer (and, yes, balding head, though he obviously didn't). That debut is a classic of almost Ramonishly endearing, brainless, but feel-good US pop metal. And as a European, I had of course heard "Noize" more times than I cared to remember in the Slade original version, but I thought QR's own composition of Metal Health (the track) a wonderful escapist mission statement. To this day, that line "I got a mouth like an aaaliiigaaator" draws a blissfully idiotic smile to my face, Paul Stanley would have killed for that.:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:19:09 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 11:27:54 AM »
QR took the ball and ran with it.  But if Slade didn't quite get the acclaim they deserved, at least Noddy Holder and Jim Lea got their well-deserved royalty checks. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 01:13:50 PM »
Indeed, both do well with the annual "Merry X-mas Everybody"-paycheck alone, which is always good for a higher six digit figure in Pound Sterling. And Jim Lea is a neighbour of Senora Ciccone in London, so likely not the worst part of town.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »
Yes, Tai Ming, that elusive Chinese fellow. By the time QR emerged, Slade had 15 years of touring life behind them, they were tired.

Noddy Holder observed - when Slade were opening for Humble Pie in the US - along the lines: "The way Steve Marriott would stretch out any song to 20 minutes of endless improvisations and ad-libbing, yet entirely captivate a US stadium audience all the while, that just wasn't us and we never found the knack to do it. But it was what US audiences expected from a rock band at the time and we suffered for it. Instead we become everybody's favourite opening act to work up an audience for the main act."

BTW, in defense of QR, when I first saw them, I was really impressed by their energy, single-mindedness and stage act. I also liked Kevin DuBrow's sneer (and, yes, balding head, though he obviously didn't). That debut is a classic of almost Ramonishly endearing, brainless, but feel-good US pop metal. And as a European, I had of course heard "Noize" more times than I cared to remember in the Slade original version, but I thought QR's own composition of Metal Health (the track) a wonderful escapist mission statement. To this day, that line "I got a mouth like an aaaliiigaaator" draws a blissfully idiotic smile to my face, Paul Stanley would have killed for that.:mrgreen:

I need a "like" button!   

Lots like to slag QR for covering a couple Slade songs, but I'm sure they (Holder and Lea) didn't push the royalty checks away either - QR made Slade more famous in the U.S. than Slade themselves did.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...