Author Topic: Rusty Keys  (Read 1425 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
Rusty Keys
« on: September 04, 2018, 04:39:23 PM »
I replaced the original keys on a Fender Custom shop Precision with some Gotoh Resolite keys. I put the original keys in a sealed plastic bag. Going through my parts cabinet the other day I noticed that they had completely rusted and would not even turn! Any ‘solutions’ or advice how to reverse this? thanks

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Rusty Keys
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »
WD 40 or similar solvent should work. Then use some petroleum jelly to keep it from happening again.

That's really unusual. I literally live in a Florida swamp and keep many old tuners in plastic bags in my shop with humidity always 60% or more.  That's only happened with a few import guitar tuners that had been soaked in muriatic acid to relic them. 

Are these Kluson type open tuners?

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 12:09:17 AM »
They were the standard open Fender tuner on a ‘55 Fender Custom shop Precision. The bass was somewhat reliced and so those tuners were consistent with that. They were never so easy to turn and were heavy. That is why I replaced them with the Gotoh resolites (recommended by someone here on the post). The resolites immediately cancelled out the neck heavy aspect. So you are saying I should soak them in WD-40? I’m assuming as it eventually loosens up from this, to disassemble the whole tuner and steel bush off the rust and getting into the grooves and then afterwards do the petroleum jelly treatment? Thanks

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »
They were the standard open Fender tuner on a ‘55 Fender Custom shop Precision. The bass was somewhat reliced and so those tuners were consistent with that. They were never so easy to turn and were heavy. That is why I replaced them with the Gotoh resolites (recommended by someone here on the post). The resolites immediately cancelled out the neck heavy aspect. So you are saying I should soak them in WD-40? I’m assuming as it eventually loosens up from this, to disassemble the whole tuner and steel bush off the rust and getting into the grooves and then afterwards do the petroleum jelly treatment? Thanks

The WD 40 will probably remove most of the rust with some help from a rough cloth, toothbrush , or extra fine (0000) steel wool if you must.  It's not necessary to submerge th tuner, just a heavy application or three that gets into the gears, screw that attaches the post, and where the post contacts the mounting plate, etc.

Candle wax will also work as a lubricant, or Gwyneth Approved extra virgin Fillipo Berio.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »
Certainly relic'd now... prob make a mint selling them on that other site... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...