Author Topic: Strange EB-0 on Reverb  (Read 1736 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Strange EB-0 on Reverb
« on: August 02, 2018, 07:26:02 AM »
https://reverb.com/item/10931087-gibson-sg-bass-eb-ebo-project-luthier-1965-1966-1967-heritage-cherry

So this guy is up on Reverb. Looks like an EB-0 with two additional controls and a hole for a pickup selector switch. In the electronics cavity there appears to be a choke as well.

I'm guessing the wiring is modified as the insulation is many different colours. The ugly common ground blob doesn't look factory original either.

Did somebody spoon the best of an EB-3 into an EB-0?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Strange EB-0 on Reverb
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:50:03 AM »
Someone has done ugly things to the fretboard and the headstock. If the body didn't look better than the neck does, I'd think that bass had been under water.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:15:06 AM »
It looks like '10' is impressed into the end of the fretboard using stamps?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:44:54 AM »
It looks like '10' is impressed into the end of the fretboard using stamps?

It does. I don't remember seeing that before on an EB-0.

Someone has done ugly things to the fretboard and the headstock. If the body didn't look better than the neck does, I'd think that bass had been under water.

It does look like water damage. May have been in a flood and never properly dried. I'd guess the fretboard looks worse b/c it was unfinished.

Restoring to anything like it was originally would cost far more than it would be worth. $750? Tell 'im 'e's dreamin'!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
I probably like EB-0 & EB-3 basses better than most.  But I'd actually feel sorry for any sucker who paid anywhere near $750 for that.  Just the headstock itself looks like it has been through some kind of war. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »
If that neck is still straight and not warped, it would surprise me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 05:26:44 AM »
Has the guts of an EB-3 been transplanted into the bass, or is something else going on?

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 06:47:36 AM »
If that neck is still straight and not warped, it would surprise me.

The truss rod nut has been screwed in upside down. That could bee a sign that the neck is out of whack & un-adjustable………….
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »
Has the guts of an EB-3 been transplanted into the bass, or is something else going on?

Not exactly - that is not an original choke (could be a 60s one with the faraday shield removed - never looked inside one due to sealed; the later unsheilded ones looked different).  It's probably noisey as heck since it is not sheilded and not dual coil humbucking like later ones.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 01:00:07 AM »
Not exactly - that is not an original choke (could be a 60s one with the faraday shield removed - never looked inside one due to sealed; the later unsheilded ones looked different).

Might even just be a big paper cap. Nothing odd at all about this bass, just a tired EB-0 with added tone controls. A road worn cherry perhaps?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 04:07:41 PM »
I am very puzzled. What is the point of adding a second set of pots and drilling for a (missing) switch when there's still just the one pickup?  There's no route for a second one.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 05:45:15 PM »
I am very puzzled. What is the point of adding a second set of pots and drilling for a (missing) switch when there's still just the one pickup?  There's no route for a second one.

Could have something to do with whatever that terminal is next to the empty hole, I can't figure it out.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 06:26:26 PM »
Could almost be middle and bass controls from a Ripper circuit,but what it is is a MESS!
Louder bass!.