Author Topic: Henry steps in it again  (Read 2884 times)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
Re: Henry steps in it again
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 12:21:20 AM »
My pick would be an updated EB3L .With a Maple neck like in the 70s.
Louder bass!.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 07:48:19 AM »
Speaking of, this looks pretty nice, though i don't know what "TV Pelham blue" is. I guess because you can kind of see the wood grain?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123121217400?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 08:33:52 AM »
I'm not a fan of the long scale SG basses.  Too many balance problems with that long neck and small body.

But there are plenty of great Gibson models I'd like to see return.

How about another run of the Hobbit?  Bet that would draw Gibson fans.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 07:09:59 PM »
Unfortunately there's too small of a demand for longscale Gibson SG-shaped basses. The SG-Z was no blockbuster.

The SG-Z's pickups had almost no fundamental. They looked like TB+ but weren't. Really beautiful bass and balanced well (at least the one I tried). Shame about the crappy tone, though.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 07:11:52 PM »
Speaking of, this looks pretty nice, though i don't know what "TV Pelham blue" is. I guess because you can kind of see the wood grain?

Never heard of that one but I found this so it's legit. It's discontinued so not sure when it was made.

TV Pelham Blue? Let's not tell Uwe.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »
I like the colour on that one but i'm not a fan of the rear pickup placement or the neck on those.
Louder bass!.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 07:48:50 PM »

The TV Pelham Blue was a finish similar to TV yellow that seemed like a lightly coated metallic Pelham Blue. At least that was how it looked on the Firebird Studio that I had. You could see the wood grain thru the finish, at least to some extent. They also made a TV Silver version, at least of the Thunderbirds.

TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »
The SG-Z's pickups had almost no fundamental. They looked like TB+ but weren't. Really beautiful bass and balanced well (at least the one I tried). Shame about the crappy tone, though.
Agreed. I've put a push/pull pot in mine for both humbuckers in series, enabling a ridiculous amount of pickup switching optons. That works to get more oompf. No subwoofing lows but enough to make it sound like a good bass to me at least. The strap has been located under the upper horn (by a previous owner) and it balances really well.