Author Topic: Nice Greco EB2  (Read 2107 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Nice Greco EB2
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
Forgot they did these; there's hope for me yet, though this one is waaaay overpriced (seen real ones and Rivolis cheaper recently).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Greco-SAB-100-1980s-Electric-Basses-with-Soft-Case-Free-Shipping/163098763668?hash=item25f971a194:g:pYkAAOSwg8taMNMS
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Greco EB2
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 07:00:31 PM »
Nice looker.

I don't understand all the overpriced stuff from Japan lately. Search for most any popular guitar or bass, organize by highest price first, and the highest ones are almost all from Japan, including new and almost new ones at twice what you can buy them for here.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 07:05:17 AM »
I've noticed that.  Also the other thing someone else mentioned somewhere else; The same seller (?) will have multiple listings for the same instruments, added days apart with progressively lower price.  Same pics everything.  Was looking at an ok priced Greco FB, and then saw the listing for 100$ less; did we ever figure out whatr's up with that?  Any shennanigans or risk?  Seems safe due to buyer protection but, so weird.

Any idea what a Greco Firebird (full size buckers, not sure if stock; want a project platform, but otherwise proper neck thru rev) is worth?  I see 1k and up asks but no sales as far back as the ended auction history goes (and again, I can get a used modern Gibby for that much).  This one is well below that and it's making me a tad suspiscious, but at the same time want/been looking so long.

There's also a bunch of short/medium scale Jr doublecut style Greco basses up for what seem like OK prices (350 to 600, like 3-4 of them but different ones).  Bolt on version though.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:11:17 PM »
Well someone hit the BIN; they're worth 760-some-odd including shipping apparently. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:16:30 PM »
Well someone hit the BIN; they're worth 760-some-odd including shipping apparently.

Am I missing something? The link in your original post shows it's still active at $1499.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 06:53:41 AM »
I was talking about the Greco FB geetar I mentionned after that with the multiple listings, sorry.  Starting to wonder if it was a shill.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is gonna buy that EB-2 copy at that price, unless there's crazyness on the Japanese domestic market I am blissfully unaware of.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 01:53:49 PM »
I just did an eBay search for Gibson Les Paul Studio, just to see how many were from Japan. 859 listings total. When I excluded listings under $1650 (the MAP of a new Studio) the number drops to 114, and 106 of those are from Japan. How do the sellers hope to sell them to the North American market?

When I restricted to North America only, the number drops from 859 to 239. Almost all the excluded ones were from Japan.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 07:11:01 AM »
Am I missing something? The link in your original post shows it's still active at $1499.
If it looks exactly like an EB but doesn't sound like one maybe it's worth $1.5K  :mrgreen:
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
If it looks exactly like an EB but doesn't sound like one maybe it's worth $1.5K  :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: