Author Topic: Gibson Midtown Pickup Advice  (Read 7730 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Gibson Midtown Pickup Advice
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 03:05:46 AM »
I don't think a loose pickup rattling in the body would cause microphony. If I'm not mistaken it's the loose windings causing microphony. Which can be solved by wax potting the pickup.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 03:31:04 AM »
I fitted a DiMarzio Model One to a Midtown Standard.  I also fitted a coil tap (or maybe series/parallel, can't remember now, sold it on a couple of years ago) onto a push/push pot on the volume control, for more variety :)

Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 05:26:40 AM »
That's the first bass I've seen where a model one looks ok

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 07:07:53 AM »
I don't think a loose pickup rattling in the body would cause microphony. If I'm not mistaken it's the loose windings causing microphony. Which can be solved by wax potting the pickup.

The pickup is already epoxy potted, unless things have changed in the past few years.

That's the first bass I've seen where a model one looks ok

It does look good with the black bass. If they offered it with a chrome cover, I would think they would sell more.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »
The pickup is already epoxy potted, unless things have changed in the past few years.

It does look good with the black bass. If they offered it with a chrome cover, I would think they would sell more.

Not sure but I have chatted to a few fellows over on Talkbass that fixed similar problems in Midtowns by wax potting the pickup.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:40:49 PM by veebass »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 07:03:41 PM »
Not sure but I have chatted to a few fellows over on Talkbass that fixed similar problems in Midtowns by wax potting the pickup.

Maybe Gibson has changed the pickups then, or maybe the epoxy potting has come loose.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 01:32:57 AM »

If the pickup is not properly potted, being loose/ not properly mounted can certainly generate unwanted mechanical noise.

On the other hand, if properly mounted - a pickup that is unpotted does not necessarily represent a problem.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 01:55:15 AM »
If the pickup is not properly mounted can certainly generate unwanted mechanical noise.

Yes of course, but it doesn't make it microphonic, does it?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 08:09:49 AM »
I am a fan of the Model 1.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 08:18:40 AM »
I think the Model One sounds good. It's not original looking, and that bothers some people.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
I agree that the Model One sounds good.  I have one in a bridge position on a '64 EB-0 (I didn't cut the additional pickup cavity in it, I just found something to fill the hole).  It has a more moderate sound than the original period mudbucker in the neck position (thanks, Dave...).  Agreed, it doesn't look like the original at all.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2018, 09:53:32 AM »
Maybe Gibson has changed the pickups then, or maybe the epoxy potting has come loose.

I wonder if potting will prevent a pickup from being microphonic in the same way as waxing the winding. The epoxy potting I've seen mostly serves the purpose of keeping the coils within a casing. That does'nt necessarily keep the windings still in case it has'nt been wound tight enough. The wax on OTOH penetrates the coil and fill the air gaps within the coil. This is a photo of the neck pickup on the 2005 SG Reissue I used to own but traded for an SG-Z bass:

Looks like clear epoxy.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »
If it's done properly, supposedly epoxy potting will eliminate microphonics. Maybe Gibson didn't do a good job of it, if this is a common problem.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2018, 06:51:55 PM »
If it's done properly, supposedly epoxy potting will eliminate microphonics. Maybe Gibson didn't do a good job of it, if this is a common problem.

That is what I suspect- I have spoken to one other guy who had the same symptoms and were gone after wax potting.

Here is the crazy thing, though.
I took the neck pickup cover off yesterday to have a look. I noticed the cover had not been screwed down very tightly and I was actually getting a bit of mechanical vibration that was audible when played acoustically. When I put the cover back on I screwed it down tight. The acoustic vibration sound is gone now as far as I can hear. The pickup issues when amplified seemed less as well- it still will feedback at high volume and gain, but not as readily. The amplified background rattle is gone and the distorted echo seems to be reduced.
Is it possible that the mechanical vibration of the pickup is at least partially to blame for microphonics symptoms?
One thing unabated though is the annoying earth hum. My LP OSB does it too. Don't Gibson bother to earth their basses properly anymore? My Epi Vintage Pro TBird is silent beween notes and it cost nowhere near what the Gibson's did.

I have actually tracked down a genuine SG bass neck pickup for a reasonable price in the process. I think I will pick it up in case.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:07:51 PM by veebass »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
It's certainly possible that mechanical vibration played at least a part.

Neither of my SG Basses (same pickups as your Midtown) had hum issues but I've played a couple of modern era (TB+) TBirds that hummed despite being grounded. I don't know what the issue is.