Author Topic: The Les Paul Twins  (Read 19749 times)

Christine

Re: The Les Paul Twins
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
Actually here's a Warwick bridge set into an LP, looks flat

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »
I think you're on the right track and you're probably right about the neck angle being negligible as well.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
This is gonna be good :)

I'm curious, do you have a website or shop or something with other builds you've done? Would love to see some of your completed work!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 08:23:17 PM »
Actually here's a Warwick bridge set into an LP, looks flat

Welcome, and thanks for your posts.

I believe the Warwick bridge does sit flat on a Les Paul bass but there is a neck angle. Hopefully a member who owns one will confirm this.

The Warwicks I've seen all have the bridge recessed b/c there's no neck angle.

Christine

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 12:25:14 AM »

I believe the Warwick bridge does sit flat on a Les Paul bass but there is a neck angle. Hopefully a member who owns one will confirm this.

No I don't sorry, I used to be a cabinet maker, I had my own workshops and we made a few basses and guitars then but these last few years I've been looking after my mum who had dementia and a brain tumour so I've not had the time. I did make a 7enderbird a couple of years ago but that was little more than a body rout and paint job< there's a pic below.

I know what you mean about the bridge being recessed but the carving on the Les Paul top means that the 16th fret is about 1/2" below the body at the pickups even with the neck flat so there's no getting away from that neck angle. I like an angled neck, I think they play more naturally somehow

Fenderbird, bridge and TB+ pups courtesy of Scott (GodofThunder)

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 05:13:41 AM »
Nuce work so far! I have an LPB-3 but unfortunately I left it at our rehearsal space last weekend. But from memory I'd say the Warwick bridge is recessed flat related to the back of the body plane, not to the neck angle. Same goes for the pickup cavities. Despite the pickup rings being slanted to the neck angle the pickups really don't have enough wiggle room inside to actually follow the string angle perfectly.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 05:45:17 AM »
Nice work, and welcome!

7enderbirds are what brought me here originally, and I love the one you built for Scott.

I was previously unaware that the LPB-3 used a Warwick bridge.

I really like how that looks.

What scale length do you have planned for these?

Christine

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 09:32:30 AM »
Nice work, and welcome!

7enderbirds are what brought me here originally, and I love the one you built for Scott.

I was previously unaware that the LPB-3 used a Warwick bridge.

I really like how that looks.

What scale length do you have planned for these?

Thank you :)

They're going to be 34"

Christine

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »
Nuce work so far! I have an LPB-3 but unfortunately I left it at our rehearsal space last weekend. But from memory I'd say the Warwick bridge is recessed flat related to the back of the body plane, not to the neck angle. Same goes for the pickup cavities. Despite the pickup rings being slanted to the neck angle the pickups really don't have enough wiggle room inside to actually follow the string angle perfectly.

Thank you, I have or shall we say decided to mount the pickups at an angle to follow the strings. It seems to make sense to me that they do, I can see why Gibson don't though it's a lot of extra work, although with an overhead router it would be relatively easy, oh for a bigger workshop!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 10:54:06 AM »
Welcome... we have another maker of fine furniture that makes instruments these days too... another who is presently building an LP...

Comercial or personal builds, out of curiosity...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Christine

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2018, 11:12:08 AM »
Welcome... we have another maker of fine furniture that makes instruments these days too... another who is presently building an LP...

Comercial or personal builds, out of curiosity...?

Thank you. Who else is a furniture maker here?

Both, I'll keep one and put the other up for sale

Christine

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2018, 11:14:07 AM »
Today I took the glued bodies out of clamps and trimmed the excess with the bandsaw. Then I flushed the tops on the router table, when I looked at them I had a oh heck moment as there was what appeared to be an open glue line all around the join but when I sanded a bit of the top op the disc sander it turned out to be just a little glue that had discoloured the back at the very corner and comes out with the slightest sanding, PHEW LOL; that had me going for a few seconds. You can see the line in the photographs, it looks just like an open glue line, in hindsight there was no way that I could have ended up with an open glue line but I still fell for it.

Next I scribed a line at 49mm all around which will be the line to carve the top to but also the line at which the bottom of the fretboard will sit at the neck body interface. I marked the position of the neck joint and pickup pocket routs and drilled out the waste to cut back on the amount of noise from the router. I fixed the routing jig to the body with a couple of screws, one through the point of the bridge and one near the edge where the wood will be carved away so no holes will be left after the body's done. I routed the neck joint on one body but then realised I had made the jig too shallow for the pickup pockets so I made a perspex spacer, I'll fit that and finish the routing tomorrow. The weather picked up so we went for a walk on the beach, it seemed a lot more fun than woodwork :)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »
Carlo... regular builder of originals and Peter Cook tributes... iirc was a manufacturer of various items off in the the far east...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »
Who else is a furniture maker here?

Orville Gibson made his early instruments out of used furniture………...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:45:32 PM by Grog »
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Christine

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 10:39:16 PM »

Orville Gibson made his early instruments out of used furniture………...

I never knew that! A lot of sense in that actually, it has had a lot of time to settle and do it's own stress relief but I do hope he didn't use his grannies sideboard without her permission  :)