Author Topic: Short scale 4030  (Read 7541 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Short scale 4030
« on: April 26, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
https://twitter.com/RickenbackerInt/status/989527156907798528

@RickenbackerInt has just tweeted:

Custom one-off 4030's for Death From Above 1979's Jessie F. Keeler. Three of the same:
- 24 Fret
- 30.5 inch scale length
- 4002 body
- Overwound, custom pickups
- Richlite fingerboard
- Scooped heel

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:47:33 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Short scale 4030 basses
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »
Why would you put Richlite boards on obviously expensive basses? Ugh.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »
I don't like it either - kind of in between a 4003 and 483 - but they are experimenting and that's good.

The fat horns / birdseye maple show that they still have some more surplus 4002 body wings at Santa Ana.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
Finally, a Ric I might really like (richlite means not laquered, right?).  Still can't afford it though (I assume).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:23:33 PM »
Richlite doesn't need to be lacquered, but neither does the chechen (caribbean rosewood) they use.

Despite the hype about richlite for fretboards, it's not a wood product. It's a polymer made from chemically combined recycled paper and phenolic resin. It's a plastic. It's no more a wood product than rayon or nitro lacquer.When it starts offgassing 20 or 30 years from now, the people and companies pushing it will be singinga different tune.

In this case, I'm guessing it was specified by the artist. His choice, that's okay. I wouldn't accept it on a $300 dollar bass, much less an expensive one.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »
That's what my Sonex is made out of (basically High density fiberboard).  1980 model; no offgassing (there are worn spots in the finish so it's not perfectly sealed).  Possibly a slightly different resin, and certainly no dark dye like Ric is obviously using. Technically it has wood (cellulose) content) ... as do rayon and nitro.  Basically a smaller particulate size but essentialluy particleboard or chipboard on a micro scale.

And yeah, I'd prefer real wood, but from my experience with my Sonex, I wouldn't be put off necessarily.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:03:17 PM by Granny Gremlin »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 01:55:09 PM »
No problem with richlite here. With some luck I will live long enough to see us all eating the stuff.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 08:23:30 PM »
That's what my Sonex is made out of (basically High density fiberboard).  1980 model; no offgassing (there are worn spots in the finish so it's not perfectly sealed).  Possibly a slightly different resin, and certainly no dark dye like Ric is obviously using. Technically it has wood (cellulose) content) ... as do rayon and nitro.  Basically a smaller particulate size but essentialluy particleboard or chipboard on a micro scale.

And yeah, I'd prefer real wood, but from my experience with my Sonex, I wouldn't be put off necessarily.

Resonwood was nothing like richlite. It was fiberboard in a cast form, very similar in composition to the Kalamazoo guitars and basses of the late 60s. It did offgas like all masonite type products but not enough to deteriorate as long as it was sealed and painted. This type of material has been around for about 70 years, we know what it will and won't do. Not so with richlite.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 10:26:44 PM »
If I had more money than common sense, I´d get one. I like my 4001 but have gotten too comfy with shorties.
But I might have put a horseshoe in bridge pos. :)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 07:17:10 AM »
Resonwood was nothing like richlite. It was fiberboard in a cast form, very similar in composition to the Kalamazoo guitars and basses of the late 60s. It did offgas like all masonite type products but not enough to deteriorate as long as it was sealed and painted. This type of material has been around for about 70 years, we know what it will and won't do. Not so with richlite.

OK, but you said paper and phenolic resin; which is what the resonwood is made of too.  The Kalamazooo stuff was more of a (larger particle) chipboard, no?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
Pros:
body wings/checkerboard binding
short scale (cool option)
scooped heel

Cons:
bridge/tailpiece (both functionally and in this case visually)
pickguard shape

I'm assuming those are HB-1 pups, which are already pretty hot (14K). Surprised they would over-wind them. I never heard of Richlite. I've got an ebonol fingerboard on my Kramer, which I've always liked, but I understand that is basically bowling ball material. Overall, I think this is a cool, functional bass. I'd like to see an S model with an improved pickguard shape and Schaller bridge.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 06:21:08 PM »
OK, but you said paper and phenolic resin; which is what the resonwood is made of too.  The Kalamazooo stuff was more of a (larger particle) chipboard, no?

Not the same thing, but I'm not going to belabor it here.

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Short scale 4030
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 12:21:52 AM »
Sorry but I just had to ;-)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 08:39:09 AM »
Why would you put Richlite boards on obviously expensive basses? Ugh.

Craig Anderton says "it’s more expensive to make guitars with Richlite fretboards than ebony,"

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/Building-a-Better-Fingerboard.aspx

Rickenbacker or Jessie F. Keeler probably like it because it's made from 100% recycled material. Gibson likes it because it isn't listed with CITES.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 07:40:09 PM »
Craig Anderton says "it’s more expensive to make guitars with Richlite fretboards than ebony,"

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/Building-a-Better-Fingerboard.aspx

Rickenbacker or Jessie F. Keeler probably like it because it's made from 100% recycled material. Gibson likes it because it isn't listed with CITES.

Luthier's Mercantile charges about 60% more for a Gaboon ebony board than a richlite board.

I've read that Craig Anderton article before. IMHO it's just Gibson hype. He left Gibson suddenly last fall. Wonder if he would say the same thing now.