Author Topic: Samurai, at last  (Read 457 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Samurai, at last
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2024, 05:24:42 AM »
Mine are 34 in scale [...] it’s perfectly balanced.

I think I figured out how this is possible. The vintage SB-5A (medium scale) has a total length of 115.5 cm, that's 1 cm LONGER than the 114.5 cm SBV500 with its long scale neck. For the new models the moved the bridge back, and the result is a better balanced bass with a 34" scale length. Win-win. That's good design.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2024, 06:52:11 AM »
I find they look similar to an upside down Rickenbacker.

Not such a bad thing in my opinion. I tend to prefer short scale basses these days , but I do play these Samurai. And the Rics.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2024, 12:15:40 PM »
Agreed, that blue is lovely. The right shade of blue is a color which has led me to make some interesting and possibly ill-considered purchases.

On a skillet-hot 4th of July about 1995, I spotted an '85 Chevy short box pickup on a used car lot in Austin, TX.  It was one of those shades of blue.

Getting it out of town required a new battery, an alternator, and a few miles down the road, a fuel pump. Most things in life are more enjoyable than replacing the fuel pump on a hot Chevy 305 V8 while working in a couple of inches of dust by the side of a Texas road in 100 degree heat.

It wasn't until i drove it a few days that I learned it need a transmission rebuild. The rest was chump change that I did myself, but that one was done by a local shop. That pickup ended up being more expensive than I expected.

But it was blue, beautifully blue. And fortunately it ran great after the tranny was sorted out.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."