Author Topic: Good price on vintage EB0  (Read 1634 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Good price on vintage EB0
« on: April 13, 2018, 07:00:03 AM »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Good price on vintage EB0
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »
"Hollow body bass guitar? "

Over $1000 with both a headstock and body repair?

"Nashville Gear Factory" - interesting name.  Appears that part of their gear is a hookah. Is marijuana legal in Nashville??
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:04:10 AM »
Now what
makes you
think so?

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »
OOps - didn't see the bit about the breaks; was looking quickly.  If it wasn't for those it would be a good price.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:01:29 PM »
Besides, we all know how hard those hollow body 60's EB-0 models are to find....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:17:27 PM »
Even with 15% off, I paid less than that for my unbroken '71 slothead in December 2016.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 03:43:26 PM »
Right, but you got a major good deal on that even by 2016 standards. 

Like we know series 1 EB0 mostly go for 1.2K and up.  Worst case this would have been, save for the breaks, the best price going on Reverb.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:12:45 PM »
Right, but you got a major good deal on that even by 2016 standards. 

Like we know series 1 EB0 mostly go for 1.2K and up.  Worst case this would have been, save for the breaks, the best price going on Reverb.

This is a late 60s EB-0 with the evertilt, not a first series. Asking price 1.2K and up? Sure (mine was originally listed at $1295, BTW). Selling price $1.2K and up? Not often, according to Reverb's price guide.

IMHO most of the items in these 15% off sales are overpriced to begin with, and many are still overpriced even with the discount. Sellers who price their items to sell don't need to reduce their prices.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »
Series 1 is anything prior to slothead (refers more to the electronics revisions vs anything else).  You know that.  Sure, pre 66 with all nickel and the bar bridge are worth more, but this , despite evertilt, still has the mute, which the very next year did not. 

Slotheads are a weird anomaly - sometimes more prized, but often selling for less due to their weirdness. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
The electronics on the slothead EB-0 are the same as the earlier ones.

As for value, I'm going by what has actually sold on Reverb according to their price guide. Also, I question whether any guitar or bass with a repaired neck break should be listed as Good condition by Reverb's standards: "Good condition includes items that are in fine working order but have some visual imperfections here and there." IMHO, a repaired headstock break is worse than that. At least the seller is upfront about it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
Interesting conversation. I'm learning more about the value of my '64 EB-0 with the bar bridge. Even with a repaired neck/headstock break, it turns out to be worth a lot more than I paid for it. It's a good player, too.  Thanks for selling me the pickup.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 11:43:24 PM »
Wasn't '65 the year they phased out nickel? Not to be picky, but..😃
I always look for pre- 66 basses, and see pre- 66 as series 1. But that is more of a personal preference; as they changed the neck heel in 66 and started to make the narrow necks, which I don't care much for. Interestingly (to some) you can find 66 models with the new heel design but with the 'old' wide neck/full nut width.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »
The electronics on the slothead EB-0 are the same as the earlier ones.

The early ones were, but not he later ones; bit of a mishmash in the middle as they tried things.  As usual for Gibson, not that cut and dry.

As for value, I'm going by what has actually sold on Reverb according to their price guide. Also, I question whether any guitar or bass with a repaired neck break should be listed as Good condition by Reverb's standards: "Good condition includes items that are in fine working order but have some visual imperfections here and there." IMHO, a repaired headstock break is worse than that. At least the seller is upfront about it.

As was I.  None of their stuff says any era is worth a penny less than 1k, so free shipping AND 15% off, in addition to this being the bottom of the valuation to start with is a deal, if not a huge one, assuming no breaks which I missed in the initial excitement which I have already admitted and apologized for.  I woulda looked closer if I was actually considering buying it myself.  Totally agree about the condition thing - I'm just gonna blame that for not noticing the blurb about repairs ;P

Wasn't '65 the year they phased out nickel? Not to be picky, but..😃
I always look for pre- 66 basses, and see pre- 66 as series 1. But that is more of a personal preference; as they changed the neck heel in 66 and started to make the narrow necks, which I don't care much for. Interestingly (to some) you can find 66 models with the new heel design but with the 'old' wide neck/full nut width.

Yes (I said pre-66; same thing).

My 65 (pot codes + nickel + originally a bar bridge, now long gone) has a skinny ass neck; original heel style.  I always found the necks got fatter later, rather than earlier (esp 70s ones; much bigger).  I'm sure they weren't always very consistent though, especially in transition periods.