Author Topic: Nutz - Mystery pickup on a P Bass  (Read 4806 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Nutz - Mystery pickup on a P Bass
« on: March 28, 2018, 07:33:37 AM »
I was just reminded about these guys by an old high school buddy. Really good 70s rock and roll band. Take a look at this humbucker added to a P. Also, what is that guitar the singer is playing? Looks like it might have some kind of sliding pickup setup.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Nutz - Mystery pickup on a P Bass
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
The guitar's a Dan Armstrong isn't it...? The solid version of the plexi variant...? No idea about the bass pup, mind you... saw them as a support one time but not sure who it was with... Sabbath...? Might have been the Technical Ecstasy tour... (looked it up, it was)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
Dan Armstrong Model 341.

I don't remember the band. Nice song.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
Don't know much about them other than dubious LP covers from the time... never had any of their output...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »
They became Rage (UK band, not the Kraut heavy metallers), here with a (heavy-handed) Joe Lynn Turner/Fandango song:

I stumbled across this just now, never knew something of that audio quality was available of JLT's early days! And I have to say with all the derision the guy (not always unjustly) gets, Fandango were a great live band with a lot more ooomph than on their four studio albums - smooth AOR you Yanks excel at! Not a bad guitar slinger either, our Joe!! The (likewise excellent) slide player is the late Rick Blakemore (yes ..., but no relation, just a coincidence - or even fate?  :) - and spelled without a "c" and with another "e").

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:14:04 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:50:12 PM »

On the West (Best) Coast this was the one song that I heard on Seattle FM back in the day.....

I did buy the album, may still be upstairs somewhere :P

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 03:19:55 AM »
The guitar is a Dan Armstrong London (as Dave had already mentioned...). Jack Bruce played a London bass  circa '75 and Alan Mair used one too with The Only Ones. The bass was available as a long and short scale versions. Kinda ugly but cool, would like to try one.

The bass pickup looks like a custom job.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:40:20 AM by Pekka »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:27:34 AM »
They became Rage (UK band, not the Kraut heavy metallers), here with a (heavy-handed) Joe Lynn Turner/Fandango song:
Uncle Ted's take on it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnX0HE3Cys8&ab_channel=TedNugent-Topic
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 05:33:22 AM »
And then there's some things known primarily to us Northern NJ natives who attended high school dances in the 70s...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwl3bvOqM68&ab_channel=Dabbitt353

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 07:33:05 AM »
Wow, good history, thanks guys!  :toast:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
Forgot to add: the humbucker on the P looks like a regular guitar humbucker to me.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 10:28:54 AM »
Didn't know of any of those alternate bands but knew the Nuge version... even saw the tour when he came over here for it...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
Forgot to add: the humbucker on the P looks like a regular guitar humbucker to me.

The coil closest to the neck looks like it only has four pole pieces to me, like a single coil Precision pickup. Seems like an amateur's Frankenstein experiment.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
The coil closest to the neck looks like it only has four pole pieces to me, like a single coil Precision pickup. Seems like an amateur's Frankenstein experiment.
Typically, humbuckers with three adjustment screws are Schallers, but I can't find any that look like this one.

Maybe...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:05:09 PM by lowend1 »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 12:53:04 PM »
I have a theory that it might be a Guild bass humbucker, without the chrome cover. I'm thinking of the pickup that replaced the Bisonics in Guild instruments.

What makes me think it might be one is the 2 + 1 screw arrangement, the row of screw pole pieces and the row of flat, rectangular poles. Also the pole spacing is tighter on the Nutz humbucker than the string spacing, even down at the end of the neck of a Fender bass. This is consistent with the tighter string spacing of Guild basses.

Here is a naked Guild pickup, as bodged into a Peavey bass:

The problem here is that I've only ever seen these pickups with cream flatwork, whereas the Nutz pickup is clearly black. The poles also look bigger on the Guild pickup than on the Nutz bass. At a push the modder sprayed the pickup black to make it stand out less, and there is overspray on the poles.