Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 239593 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3840 on: December 07, 2023, 01:30:20 PM »
It's that deconstructivist approach to guitar playing, just listen to the lead guitar of Creep.

I despise Radiohead for their shoegazerish whiny attitude, but, yup, they were influential, much to my chagrin.

Creep is one of their better songs, IMO.  But I can't name one shoegaze band that I'm a fan of.

I'm finding this recent concert from Brutus to be better than usual.  The setlist is good.  The guitarist, in general, sounds more melodic and not so shrill.  The bass is more clear than usual.  The vocals also come in loud and clear.  It's possible playing on their home turf makes a difference. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: December 07, 2023, 02:35:03 PM »
A few of us geeked out on the Radiohead album OK Computer. After that it all becomes scratchy drum loops and moans and electronic bleeps and bloops.

Thom Yorke talks about Can, and Stockhausen, and Phillip Glass, but it all comes out sounding like Radiohead. His solo projects all sound like Radiohead.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: December 07, 2023, 06:17:05 PM »
Whenever Anglo-American bands mention that my countrymen Can are an influence on them (and there is more than a few of them), I get uncomfortable - so darn un-rock.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 06:12:05 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: December 07, 2023, 09:05:51 PM »
I don't have any of these albums.  I've heard of maybe three of these bands.  I guess I'm not much of a shoegaze fan. 

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/9966-the-50-best-shoegaze-albums-of-all-time/
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: December 08, 2023, 07:13:30 AM »
I've heard of a lot of them, seen a few, but only a big fan of one of them: The Catherine Wheel.  The site is correct.  They're often more riff-rock than shoegaze.  The singer, Rob Dickinson, and Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson are cousins.  Here is one song from each of the two albums they mention.  They got heavier after the second album.  I love all of it.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 07:39:18 AM by BklynKen »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: December 08, 2023, 07:35:15 AM »
Wikipedia says early in its career Catherine Wheel was associated with shoegaze, but then they moved on to rock and metal.  It also says they were on MTV a lot, but somehow I never noticed them at all.  Rarely, have I heard a band that sounded so British.  It looks like they were a 90s band, but to me they sound just as much 80s as 90s.  Those were the days, though, 80s and 90s when the world was much more unfettered and you could focus more on things that really mattered like music. 

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: December 08, 2023, 09:28:15 AM »
Whenever Anglo-American bands mention that my countrymen Can are an influence on them (and there is more than a few of them), I get uncomfortable - so darn un-rock.  :rolleyes:

Embrace the weirdness!

Just heard a new Guns 'n' Roses song on the radio. Slightly lofi production and weirdly processed vocals. I quite like it!

Reminds me of Can...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: December 08, 2023, 06:06:03 PM »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: December 08, 2023, 10:38:43 PM »
Cool, the origins of rock'n'roll sax. And those Little Richard/Prince shrieks.

My mother liked a wide variety of music, but especially Louis Jordan and Al Dexter, two completely different musicians. Go figure.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3849 on: December 09, 2023, 10:21:27 AM »
Getting in the X-mas mood?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: December 09, 2023, 01:59:46 PM »
Just heard a new Guns 'n' Roses song on the radio. Slightly lofi production and weirdly processed vocals. I quite like it!

Isn’t 2023 a bit late to sound like early 90ies Grunge? Axl isn’t really the singer for that type of stuff, Scott Weiland could have pulled it off better.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 09:37:15 PM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3851 on: December 09, 2023, 02:42:54 PM »
Getting in the X-mas mood?

Good heavens, that is obnoxious!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: December 11, 2023, 06:29:00 PM »
Brenda Lee is 79 today.

My earworm today.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3853 on: December 12, 2023, 10:55:45 AM »
I had forgotten that one!  That's a good tune, but I love the pratfall Revere did at the end. I had the pleasure of seeing his lounge act in Lake Tahoe in the early 2000s and it was a kick in the butt.

My earworm this AM (and still) is this...and the bagpipers are fabulous. Their sound is almost eerie. This is one of the most evocative pieces of music I've ever heard.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: December 12, 2023, 01:23:32 PM »
It's oh-kay - in small doses, a bit dreary. I like my Macca earworms more lively rhythmically!

It was the first song I really registered from his post-Beatles career, a friend's parents had the album and he played that song to death. I must have been 12 or 13. It's a kids' song I guess, but then some of Macca's best work qualifies as that.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 01:30:23 PM by uwe »