Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 239377 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3615 on: October 01, 2023, 11:17:41 AM »
Now that we've gotten to Nena, Uwe needs to connect her to Deep Purple.

1. Uwe Fahrenkrog-Petersen (UFP)

Nena is like Alice Cooper, it started as a band and became a solo artist. In its first five to six years, Nena operated as a democratic band. The girl singer didn't even write all of the lyrics, much less the music. 99 Luftballons' music was written by UFP (as were many other Nena hits of the early years), the lyrics were penned by guitarist Carlo Karges.

(UFP to the right of Nena, Carlo Karges to the left).

When the original band dissolved, UFP co-founded Voodoo X with Jean Beauvoir (ex-Plasmatics, ex-Litte Steven & The Disciples of Soul, co-writer of Paul Stanley).

Anyway, UFP came from a musical household (his brother is a music professor) and his instrument of (his parents') choice was the organ. He first realized that you could also rock out with it when he heard Deep Purple's In Rock and Jon Lord's Hammond growling and hissing through Marshall stacks there.

Of course, little Uwe's home organ sounded nothing like it so me moved to the cellar, built his own little distortion effect and proceeded to learn Jon's solos off In Rock. Come Christmas, he was to play before relatives the "Music of the Season", but little Uwe chose to give them a treat of distorted Jon Lord solos. He never looked back (or had to do family Christmas Specials again).

He's a producer, musicals and soundtrack writer today and has worked with Nena again (as her producer) after the Millenium. He also produced Kim Wilde's comeback album around that time and wrote songs for NSYNC. And still sometimes guests with Nena ...

2. Van Romaine (VR)

VR has been Nena's drummer (once she turned solo) for many years.

He has also played with Enrique Iglesias. But he's a proggie at heart, having been a decade-long member of the Steve Morse Band and also of the Dixie Dregs (when Rod Morgenstein is not around). Steve's day job, we note, used to be with our subject matter for almost three decades.

(Steve's solo spot with the Steve Morse Band during a restaging of Purple's Concerto for Group &
Orchestra of 1969 thirty years later at again the Royal Albert Hall, VR on drums)

3. David Coverdale (DC) on the subject of balloons as such

As 99 Luftballons was climbing up the charts, German music mag Musik Express asked DC (at that point promoting the Saints & Sinners album and a new Whitesnake line up in Germany)

to comment blind test-style on some singles they played to him. He tore into U2's New Year's Day (Is that The Doors? Too much echo-o-o-o ... Mind you, The Doors' music is even more old-fashioned than mine and that is saying a lot ...) and was disappointed about Bob Seger's Makin' Thunderbirds (That's Bob Seger! I love Bob Seger, but if that is his new single, then he should perhaps go back to the 50ies when they were still making Thunderbirds ... The piano sounds like someone is rolling an orange up and down the keys ...). The last single played to him was 99 Luftballons and he opined on its musical strengths as follows:

"What is she singing about? 99 what? (Uwe's edit: DC had lived near Munich for a few years in the late 70ies, so had some command of Deutsch) Luftballons? Balloons you say, what about her balloons, is she well-endowed, ja? I just luuuuv' me some balloons! (Uwe's edit: Nena was/is at all times an attractive woman, but busty she was/is not, in fact more the opposite + to her credit: she never tried to improve on nature either). Nena is wonderful, danke schön, I think I just fell in love."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 01:29:58 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: October 01, 2023, 04:01:37 PM »
I don't know how many other people this affected, but Nena had an influence on how I felt about the German language.  Especially in the past, Americans were exposed to the harsh sounding German like maybe what you hear in north Germany.  Movies about World War II tended to focus on harsh German, for instance.  But then you realize in time there are several German accents.  Many of them sound great (including Nena's.)  I got to learn about this more when I visited Germany in 1988. 

I think I have mentioned this in other posts, but if you ask me now which languages I think sound the best the answer would be German and Portuguese.  I never got the chance to study anything but Spanish when I was young and in school. So learning Spanish was my only choice.  But in my 20s I met some Brazilians, forgot about Spanish (which is similar to Portuguese.) etc.  From that point on I have delved into Portuguese from time to time, but not enough to become fluent.  If I could have delved into German when I was young, I would have done that, too.  It just sounds great, as does Portuguese which I've noted.  I have nothing personally against it or its speakers, but Spanish just doesn't cut it for me. It's just too bland, IMO.  But not German or Portuguese, or French (another amazing language.)
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: October 01, 2023, 05:08:05 PM »
I think all languages can, at times, sound beautiful OR ugly.

Nena is from a part of Germany where the dialect is essentially no dialect at all, but Hochdeutsch (High German). But it's actually her untutored singing voice and her slightly sloppy pronunciation/rounded off edges that make her German sound more gentle than usual.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: October 01, 2023, 11:01:21 PM »
Listening to Hank tonight.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: October 04, 2023, 04:18:39 PM »
Leroy Van Dyke, 94 today. Still doing limited touring.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: October 05, 2023, 01:41:08 PM »
Kick ass Thrash. Great guitar solo. For the record, I don't endorse poisoning preachers.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: October 05, 2023, 02:44:43 PM »
No prudent clergyman will continue to buy in that supermarket anymore! Who knows what they hid in those foodstuff boxes ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: October 06, 2023, 05:55:57 PM »
Steve Allen trying to prove he was hip to you young folks.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: October 07, 2023, 12:46:52 PM »
Without me, you wouldn’t even know they existed!!!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3625 on: October 07, 2023, 02:50:11 PM »
Yeah I know. You basically invented them! :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: October 08, 2023, 07:47:34 AM »
That’s perhaps overstating things just a little, but didn’t it show how your welfare is always on my mind?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: October 08, 2023, 12:21:08 PM »

A pretty good effort on Secretary Blinken's part.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: October 09, 2023, 01:52:14 PM »
Uploaded bu Sun Records three days ago.

Suzi Quatro & KT Tunstall perform "Overload" together from their new album Face To Face, filmed on location at Canary Wharf in London.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: October 09, 2023, 03:14:54 PM »
That's mommy's little one playing guitar at the far-right.

Richie's grown.

That's a good album with Tunstall even though this track isn't among the strongest.