Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 239534 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3555 on: September 19, 2023, 10:37:17 PM »
In the Lonnie Mack video…SLIGHTLY off??  I couldn’t even figure out how far off it was.  Nice tune, well played, but watching his hands was disorienting.

His hands are about 2 seconds behind the soundtrack.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: September 20, 2023, 12:10:06 AM »
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 12:15:13 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: September 20, 2023, 05:43:40 AM »
Not a song that someone Chuck's age back then (32) could perform today with those lyrics and not elicit some sharp, indrawn breaths ...

Ah yes, those innocent times that weren't quite so innocent. Imagine a black rap artist transporting the same message today on prime time TV.

I swear, whenever I hear that song or Surfin' USA and don't listen closely to the lyrics right from the start , but just foot-tap along, I never realize until the lyrics of the chorus which song I'm actually listening to - I'm probably not the only one either!

Anyway, black Chuck drew the blueprint for white rock'n'roll guitar - eternal thanks for that and his perceptive/witty lyrics.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 05:52:22 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: September 20, 2023, 09:46:00 AM »

Chuck Berry was just way ahead of his time.  This song, which influenced Sweet Little Sixteen, came out in 1955.  How many people in 1955 were doing songs like this?
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: September 20, 2023, 11:01:04 AM »
I think of the Jump Blues records of the ‘40’s as being the inspiration for those suggestive and double meaning early rock and roll lyrics. And see Little Richard being much wilder than Chuck ever was. Those Specialty recordings are still the real thing.
I do believe Berry was one of the greatest writers of the last century. And am grateful he inspired so many to pick up the guitar and start ringing the bell.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: September 20, 2023, 01:57:28 PM »
I think of the Jump Blues records of the ‘40’s as being the inspiration for those suggestive and double meaning early rock and roll lyrics. And see Little Richard being much wilder than Chuck ever was. Those Specialty recordings are still the real thing.
I do believe Berry was one of the greatest writers of the last century. And am grateful he inspired so many to pick up the guitar and start ringing the bell.

I look at Chuck Berry as someone who actually helped invent rock and roll. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: September 20, 2023, 02:44:38 PM »

Little Richard was wild, but in a very youthfully frantic (six years younger than Chuck), non-intimidating showbiz way. Chuck OTOH was a world-weary, grown man - there was always something darker lurking there, perhaps that is why his lyrics resonated more with people.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: September 20, 2023, 05:15:10 PM »
Richard was a screamer , and a gay one to boot, Berry was a poet.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: September 20, 2023, 10:17:00 PM »
Just uploaded. Dr. John, always understated.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: September 21, 2023, 12:25:44 AM »
Richard was a screamer , and a gay one to boot, Berry was a poet.

True, Richard was like this exotic wild animal kicking safely in its cage for public view, but Berry was a perceptive observer who knew a thing or two.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: September 21, 2023, 08:11:00 AM »
Just uploaded. Dr. John, always understated.

Yes, you'd hardly notice him in a crowd.

May I brag a little lot? Vielen Dank. I saw him as a solo performer, just him and a grand piano, in a Midtown club in NYC in 1988/89. No, not a rock club where you drink beer with ice from a pitcher as is customary in the US, but in one of those seated posh places where you languish in a business suit after work and sip wine or a cocktail. Can't have been more than 50 people there of which less than half even knew who he was though "Right Place, Wrong Time" met some recognition in the second half of the set. His career must have really been in the doldrums at that point, he only saw some (deserved!) reappreciation again after the Millenium.

Bragging part over.

Inevitably so,

we must however end this artist chain ... with - sigh - Deep Purple !!! When will those lost recordings of him with Tommy Bolin (and Alphonse Mouzon) recorded somewhere in LA in 1975 finally see a release?

A YouTube post by Alphonse:

"I'm the drummer on this song! Tommy Bolin and I recorded several tunes in the studio with Dr. John after Tommy had played on my MIND TRANSPLANT album in 1975 out in Los Angeles. I have this on a cassette. Too bad it was never released as an album and CD!! RIP Tommy!"

Some session background:

Fans of Tommy Bolin have heard the stories, now some audio evidence has surfaced that Tommy did in fact record with Dr. John.  Why these tracks were never used is anybody's guess.  Enjoy, folks!!

Dr John with:

Tommy Bolin guitar, Stanley Sheldon, bass, Al Mouzon, drums
and other unknown players.  Daniel Kortchmar, guitar, Fred Staehle, drums, and Alvin Robinson, guitar, were also involved in the sessions with  Dr. John and Tommy Bolin, but exactly which songs they played on is not clear from my research. It's definitely Al Mouzon on drums on this track. Three songs have surfaced among collectors but there may be more out there ... Daniel Kortchmar recalls that they did a "rock" version of the Jimmy Cliff song " The Harder They Come."

Tommy's and Mac's sartorial styles matched nicely too.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 09:09:31 AM by uwe »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: September 21, 2023, 09:42:34 AM »
Not a song that someone Chuck's age back then (32) could perform today with those lyrics and not elicit some sharp, indrawn breaths ...
Ah yes, those innocent times that weren't quite so innocent. Imagine a black rap artist transporting the same message today on prime time TV.

The Dead Boys and Starz both upped the ante in the 70s...

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: September 21, 2023, 10:52:09 AM »
I had forgotten both about the lyrics and the awful mock-Frampton solo of the Starz tune, not sure which is worse! And the female protagonist of the song beats Chuck’s by a year, she’s only fifteen.

And then there are of course the intrepid street poets of Nickelback:

"You're so much cooler
When you never pull it out
Cause you look so much cuter
With something in your mouth
"

« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 11:09:30 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: September 21, 2023, 11:33:42 PM »
Recent upload to the official Midnight Special channel.

That's Johnny's future wife Susan on stage. Randy Jo Hobbs on bass.

I'm sure there must be a Blackmore connection.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3569 on: September 22, 2023, 01:50:58 AM »
Very cool. That Midnight Special YouTube channel is on a roll.
Lots of very cool videos have been surfacing lately