Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 239497 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #300 on: February 22, 2019, 10:34:50 AM »
Linda Ronstadt with her live version.  I saw her around this same time although it would be another 14 years before I'd make it to Germany.  I like what Sara Niemietz did with the song, but I didn't notice anything unusual with her pronunciation. 

I don't even know what John Fogerty was doing with the way he pronounced some words.  Nobody that I know talks like that.

Bridgewise, I always felt Carly got a little inspiration from You're No Good ...

But both songs are great.

And ... playing a cruise ship before people in evening gowns/black tie is perhaps not quite so counter-culture, but she and her voice have aged nicely.  8)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 10:50:36 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #301 on: February 22, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
I've always liked Van Halen's take on You're No Good

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #302 on: February 22, 2019, 11:12:44 AM »
I always thought Fogarty's pronunciations were pretty compatible with what I heard in deep east Texas, close to the Louisiana border.  He does have a tendency to substitute an "oy" sound in words like "burning."

He does that in one of my favorite tunes, Blue Boy. When he sings "pulling on a pony" he uses a very odd pronunciation in the word "pulling".  Sounds almost like "puying". In his CD Blue Moon Swamp, the "y" sound is even more pronounced:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:18:08 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 22, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »
Bridgewise, I always felt Carly got a little inspiration from You're No Good ...

But both songs are great.

And ... playing a cruise ship before people in evening gowns/black tie is perhaps not quite so counter-culture, but she and her voice have aged nicely.  8)

Both songs certainly are great, IMO.  I haven't heard much news about Carly Simon, but as for Linda Rondtadt it's a shame she got Parkinson's.  However, she seems to be dealing with it much better than most. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 22, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »
I've always liked Van Halen's take on You're No Good

Yes, that gives new definition to the term "hamfisted". As subtle as a Königstiger in an Ardennes orchard. :rolleyes:

I just knew you were gonna raise the banner for that cover version, you ole VH groupie!  :-*

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #305 on: February 22, 2019, 12:11:22 PM »
Yes the drums and bass are certainly hamfisted.
But the guitar part of the arrangement is pure genius. The nonchalence and seemingly effortlessness of Eddie Van Halen is unsurpassed in my point of view.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 22, 2019, 02:55:22 PM »
I was just teasing you - there is no dissent between us as regards your half-countryman's multiple skills on guitar even if he had never tapped a note. He also stole less riffs than Jimmy P. and didn't pattern his whole sound after someone else like those guitar duos from Thin Lizzy that also strike your fancy.  :P

Compared to their stunning debut, I just found VH's second outing all in all more of the same, only less. They were never the most consistent album makers, it has to be said. But there would be patches of brilliance and when I saw them with Hagar in the late 80ies they were shit-hot and had a singer that hits notes live too.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 22, 2019, 03:07:48 PM »
Now I'm listening to these fine young men - Logi, Örn & Ari *** - from the coldest part of Europe who are also adamant about (re)playing their dads' music.

Bit of early Purple in'em too (with the usual unavoidable Sabbath ingredients thrown in for good measure, their dads must have owned Uriah Heep records too) - that sense of urgency/frenzy. They could use some tan though,

not exactly spoiled with sun I guess ...  ;D

*** In case you were racking your horned helmets: Yes, their surnames all end with "...son".
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:25:56 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 22, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
Guilty pleasure: Michael before he got a haircut and decided to chiefly appeal to housewives:

I didn't know he played lead guitar when he was still trying to be Bon Jovi!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 22, 2019, 04:07:36 PM »
Is this more or less of a guilty pleasure?  :gay:

I saw Culture Club just a few weeks ago in Cologne (in a venue where I had seen Velvet Revolver and Mötley Crüe before). It was one happy spiritual communion and Edith and I must have been one of the few heterosexual couples there. ;D He sure has a voice.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:14:50 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 22, 2019, 07:39:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABPq8AQCzFc&list=PLaFUFz0EiOW0mSF86-0qNgDkN_KMtlFk5

To restore a semblance of credibility for me here.  :mrgreen:

And now that I have immersed myself in all their back catalogue I must say: Nick Seymour is a fine bassist. Very melodic and inventive.

Not sure whether Herr Finn is doing himself a favor with this Fleetwood Mac tour joinder though ...

He does a fine job (and his voice doesn't sound out of place with the Macs), but replacing someone as mercurial and intense - and at the same time: gifted and utterly idiosyncratic - as Buckingham is an impossible and thankless task. Buckingham can probably drive you mad if you have him around all the time, but there is an absolutely mesmerizing "taut rubber band, will it snap?"-characteristic to his on stage artistry (not to mention how he plays guitar like no one does and sings with a voice that is neither male nor female) that cannot be replicated or matched by anyone.

That said, Stevie doesn't do a bad job with Crowded House songs:

Allegedly, she gave the band an ultimatum, "it's either me or Lindsey ..." and the others acquiesced, but if that is true then that is like saying Art was more important than Paul in Simon & Garfunkel.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:57:04 AM by uwe »

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #311 on: February 22, 2019, 11:32:19 PM »
I'll just leave this here... it's a good listen:
http://songexploder.net/fleetwood-mac
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 23, 2019, 08:18:52 AM »
Wow, that was profound, vielen Dank, I'll never hear that song the same way again. I always marvelled about that counter-beat verse. Brilliant.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:26:35 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 23, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »
I always thought Fogarty's pronunciations were pretty compatible with what I heard in deep east Texas, close to the Louisiana border.  He does have a tendency to substitute an "oy" sound in words like "burning."

He does that in one of my favorite tunes, Blue Boy. When he sings "pulling on a pony" he uses a very odd pronunciation in the word "pulling".  Sounds almost like "puying". In his CD Blue Moon Swamp, the "y" sound is even more pronounced:

Heavy Cajun influence the closer you get to the Louisiana border.

Fogerty studied the accents well, if you disn't know otherwise you might think he was born on the bayou. OTOH I've never heard that "pulling" pronunciation anywhere in the south.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 24, 2019, 02:46:43 AM »
All the best to Lindsey Buckingham...

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:43:26 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal