Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 239934 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2018, 12:59:44 AM »
Marty has a great voice. No lack of pesonality either :)

I thoroughly enjoyed watching his cameo in Clint Eastwoods' "Honky Tonk Man."  That's one movie I went to see--not knowing much about it--and got more than my money's worth.  Marty Robbins was one of the reasons, too.  I don't know anything about his personality or lack of one, but appreciated his unique contribution to music. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »
hi dave. I hope everyone is well. I want to apologize to anyone I pissed off or upset when I was posting regularly. stuff was going on that I was not handling well at all. I also want to re thank? uwe for taking my stepsons to dinner when they were in Germany a few years back. thank you.

anyway, I have been listening to my granddaughters 8th grade orchestra. more to the point the double basses tuning up. they create an awesome drone that could easily be the intro to a pink Floyd song.

see ya'.

it just dawned on me this sounds like some 12 step program. i asure you it is not.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:37:26 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2018, 06:52:16 PM »
hi dave. I hope everyone is well. I want to apologize to anyone I pissed off or upset when I was posting regularly. stuff was going on that I was not handling well at all. I also want to re thank? uwe for taking my stepsons to dinner when they were in Germany a few years back. thank you.

anyway, I have been listening to my granddaughters 8th grade orchestra. more to the point the double basses tuning up. they create an awesome drone that could easily be the intro to a pink Floyd song.

see ya'.

it just dawned on me this sounds like some 12 step program. i asure you it is not.

Hi Tom, glad to hear you're okay. I don't recall you upsetting anyone.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2018, 07:01:41 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed watching his cameo in Clint Eastwoods' "Honky Tonk Man."  That's one movie I went to see--not knowing much about it--and got more than my money's worth.  Marty Robbins was one of the reasons, too.  I don't know anything about his personality or lack of one, but appreciated his unique contribution to music.

Marty seemed to know he was short on time due to his history of heart disease, he died after bypass surgery and that came after several heart attacks. Yet he managed to have a second career as a NASCAR driver and did well, had several top 10 finishes.

He had a number of crossover hits, most came early in his career, e.g. Stairway of Love, A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2018, 08:10:48 PM »
Marty seemed to know he was short on time due to his history of heart disease, he died after bypass surgery and that came after several heart attacks. Yet he managed to have a second career as a NASCAR driver and did well, had several top 10 finishes.

He had a number of crossover hits, most came early in his career, e.g. Stairway of Love, A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation.

I don't know why exactly, but I ended up hearing "A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation" through the years probably as much or more than "El Paso."  But I'm not sure if I ever heard "Stairway of Love."  There were a few others I don't remember the names of, but I'm pretty sure "Devil Woman" was one of them.  In looking through the selections of You Tube, "Cool Water" also must have been something I heard, but I'm more familiar with the Sons of the Pioneers version.  "Don't Worry" also seems familiar. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2018, 03:36:10 AM »
Listening to Chris Stapleton From a Room Vol. 1 now ... (apprehensively) ... (real) country or not, Dave?  :-X
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2018, 08:43:00 PM »
Listening to Chris Stapleton From a Room Vol. 1 now ... (apprehensively) ... (real) country or not, Dave?  :-X

He certainly has real country influences.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2018, 07:17:22 AM »
Digging the new release from Napalm Death. It's going to be great to play the same venue where they're kicking off their North American tour. Definitely the best thing to come out of Britain lately.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2018, 04:05:56 PM »
Tribe called red

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2018, 06:33:13 PM »
Ringo's drumming.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 08, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
Very much enjoying her and her boys right now ...

I dig the Alice in Chains vibe.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:36:39 AM by saltymonkey »

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2018, 05:38:32 AM »

rexdiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2018, 10:11:05 PM »
Very much enjoying her and her boys right now ...

I dig the Alice in Chains vibe.

We played a gig with Royal Thunder. Super nice folks, and MUCH better live than recorded. Great show!
Go fast, take chances.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »
I saw Walter Trout this week at a great gig. A sparse blues guitarist he is not (flurry of notes in the "Rory Gallager meets Johnny Winter with Alvin Lee watching"-vein), but he sure puts his heart in it. It was intense.