Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Gibson's legal department strikes again

<< < (6/6)

Grog:
Mine does have the mahogany center block glued between that block & the back of the guitar. Shaped a bit like the LP Sig, but it goes all the way to the strap button.

I tried taking a photo with my Borescope, but it doesn't work with ISO-11. So here is the best I can do with my phone. You can see the "T" shaped bottom of the block of mahogany.

Dave W:
Keep in mind that the tops and backs of ES-series are molded, not carved. Their undersides aren't flat, but the center block is. The kerfed wood fills the gap. It's flat on its underside. If the model is a full hollowbody, it's there to help support the top. The ES-LP guitar and bass are both center block models, so the center block should definitely have been there.

Fast forward to the 8 minute mark:

the mojo hobo:

--- Quote from: Grog on January 27, 2018, 07:58:27 AM ---Mine does have the mahogany center block glued between that block & the back of the guitar. Shaped a bit like the LP Sig, but it goes all the way to the strap button.

I tried taking a photo with my Borescope, but it doesn't work with ISO-11. So here is the best I can do with my phone. You can see the "T" shaped bottom of the block of mahogany.

--- End quote ---

Using a mini LED light I see it. It is thin from the neck to the bridge and widens out to support the bridge.

the mojo hobo:

--- Quote from: Dave W on January 27, 2018, 10:27:06 AM ---Keep in mind that the tops and backs of ES-series are molded, not carved. Their undersides aren't flat, but the center block is. The kerfed wood fills the gap. It's flat on its underside. If the model is a full hollowbody, it's there to help support the top. The ES-LP guitar and bass are both center block models, so the center block should definitely have been there.

Fast forward to the 8 minute mark:

--- End quote ---

At the 6:08 mark you can see the type of center block it should have. Someone did screw-up epically. The kerfed wood is there but it was never shaped to meet the center block. At that point the top should not have been glued to the body.

Dave W:
Thanks, John. I didn't know which variation it should have had, but obviously it needed to be at least long enough to support the bridge and Bigsby. Epic fail.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version