Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Hamer 8 string in action

<< < (3/10) > >>

uwe:
Not everything they did, but they got it right on this track which even found grace with its original composer Aaron Copland in the version they did. And playing at below zero temperatures in an empty stadium of course sums up ELP's testosterone-charged megalomania (which was both awesome and laughable at the same time) nicely.   8)

When I first saw that vid sometime in the seventies I thought it was the essence of rockstardom. :mrgreen: The desolate vastness of the stadium, their visible exhaled breath, the leather jackets and fur collars plus the controlled racket only three men made - all very impressive!  :)

uwe:
Oh, and I like Rockpile too, but Nick Lowe even better!

Dave W:

--- Quote from: amptech on December 10, 2017, 11:13:27 PM ---Nice switchmaster!

--- End quote ---

It's beautiful. I'll buy one as soon as I win the lottery.

gearHed289:

--- Quote from: uwe on December 11, 2017, 03:10:22 PM ---And it goes to show that you don't really "hear" the double-octave characteristic of an 8 string bass (just like you don't "hear" it in almost all Cheap Trick songs) unless you dial in an extreme sound or play it with a lot of distortion/effects.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I tried using my 8 string on two tracks on my band's current EP. With saturated tones coming from both the guitar and violin, it just gets lost. This one starts and ends with the 8 string, and there's a little melodic solo at 3:00 where you can kind of hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJkYwvuC-RQ&index=4&list=PLbpbsy0q0ZaM2UwouLvfMliQ7XftjfHWo

Denis:
Another fine example of ELP and Lake with his 8 string. In my opinion, he really was a remarkable bass player.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version