Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

Not a fan entirely ...

<< < (3/7) > >>

uwe:
Through all his overt (and partially tongue-in-cheek) Ric-bashing, you can read between the lines that he has a soft spot for them, probably going back to his first one and the Roger Glover inspiration.

(And, incidentally, Roger never went back to his Fender P after he had bought his 4001, he would eventually discard it for other brands, but not Fender. The Ric is all over Machine Head,

Made in Japan and Who Do We Think We Are, the three vintage Purple albums with the best and most prominent bass sounds. Glenn Hughes sounded quite different (and quite a bit sloppier!  :mrgreen: ) with a Ric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOc9ML942E&list=PLc2kCYP6U_gNsv_g6Lyabixmt8WGzSjr1

which he initially used with Purple before settling for a P.)

But I agree, he tends to be longwinded, those clips would benefit from a sharp cutting room.

For all its weaknesses and idiosyncracies, the Ric 4001/4003 has "iconic" written all over it, visually, soundwise and historically. Probably more so than any other bass. Fenders are just too ubiquitous for that, the Höfner is essentially a novelty toy that got lucky via one famous player and Gibsons were too rare and visually varied to leave a similar pop cultural imprint. People can detect a Ric sound (though there is more than one) immediately, you don't have that with, say, a Thunderbird.

uwe:

--- Quote from: Dave W on August 24, 2017, 07:48:44 PM ---Whoa! Let's not go to extremes!  :mrgreen:

--- End quote ---

Indeed, that would be atomic.

eb2:
This guy is wonderful. I miss Ontario and when I watch this guy I feel like I'm there. Fire up a Craven and pop open a Blue. He calls out crap. Fun.

Alanko:

--- Quote from: uwe on August 25, 2017, 07:58:41 AM ---Through all his overt (and partially tongue-in-cheek) Ric-bashing, you can read between the lines that he has a soft spot for them, probably going back to his first one and the Roger Glover inspiration.
--- End quote ---

He has his facts backwards there. Glover had a P bass in 1969/70 that was sunburst but with a maple neck, which is presumably quite rare?

He then moved over to the Rick, in 1970 (?), and later had it modified:

He claimed he didn't get enough low end out of them, but that is entirely his own fault for using Marshall amps and cabinets.  :mrgreen:

Dave W:

--- Quote from: eb2 on August 26, 2017, 01:54:56 PM ---This guy is wonderful. I miss Ontario and when I watch this guy I feel like I'm there. Fire up a Craven and pop open a Blue. He calls out crap. Fun.

--- End quote ---

I don't care where he's from, but based on a few videos I've seen, I wouldn't let him near any bass of mine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version