Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Couple of Jack Casady questions!

<< < (3/19) > >>

Alanko:
A tuner upgrade is in the works. Those Gotohs look really good.  :mrgreen:

I straightened out the tuner last night. I simply disassembled the tuner, took the paddle-axle-worm gear mechanism, straightened it in my vice slowly, heated it up with my hot air gun, let it cool and reassembled the tuner. It looks ok, but I would rather be using new tuners in the long run.

The transformer was a bit tricky to screw down. I've mounted it to the center block beyond the pickup, towards the bridge. I couldn't get two screws into the bass, as the transformer would foul with the underside of the pickup in any location anywhere I could locate the transformer and get a screwdriver in place, so had to make do with one screw. The body material (mahogany?) is quite soft, so I had to impregnate it with superglue in a small spot first. I will keep an eye on this one, but the transformer is quite tightly wedged in.

Pilgrim:
Much cleverness!!  Nicely done.

Alanko:
Semi-clever. Superglue fumes seeped out the f-hole overnight and clouded up the finish. When I removed the clouding with acetone the numbers came off the poker chip under the impedance switch... but...

The poker chip didn't match the pickguard and pickup and was bothering me anyway. I removed it, and the bass looks better as a result. Just a black chicken head knob sitting in a sea of black.

Basvarken:
How about some pics?  :popcorn:

Alanko:
Pics for all!

The bass, thirty seconds after I opened the case at my desk at work:

More Bent Tuner than Hot Tuna:

The bit that annoys me. This weird scuzzy damage does through to the wood. I've been going over this section with black nail polish, and will flatten it back and buff it out. Not sure how this will turn out.

Green frets, yow!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version